We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long 4-Day weekend in Paris

San Francisco
2 posts
Save Topic
Long 4-Day weekend in Paris

I am planning my wife's 60th birthday (her birthday is in early December) and thought that going to Paris would be ideal. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations to help me plan such an occaision? I thought that a long weekend (4 days) would be perfect.

Thanks in advance!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long 4-Day weekend in Paris

To help the forum answers be helpful, include your budget for the trip. Budget for hotel, restaurant for the big birthday dinner etc.

What else will you be doing in Paris? Museums or just soaking up as much hot wine to keep warm? Coming to Paris is a big trip with a long travel from the West coast of the USA. Maybe a few more days to ease the jet lag...

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long 4-Day weekend in Paris

Unless you are a real travel pro accustomed to very long flights, a 4-day trip to Paris from S.F. is likely too short. If you were flying from the east coast, I'd say no problem.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long 4-Day weekend in Paris

I did the exact same thing for my wife's 50th. The trick if you will is to preplan your sightseeing destinations. I purchased a few guide books: Frommers, Steves, D&K, and Lonely Planet. Each will give you a different perspective on the same sights. The first night we took a short 2 hour pvt tour to get the feel of the city. Make sure you see the Tower at night. It lights up at 8 PM. The Batobus a HOHO boat travels along the Seine and stops at eight sightsesing destinations.

San Francisco
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Long 4-Day weekend in Paris

You're right. After I sent the messageI realized that I hadn'tprovided much information.

I could add another day or two to ease the jet lag situation. As for the budget, I know that Paris is going to be relatively expensive, but I'd like to keep the cost down. We both enjoy museums and historic types of things, but I'm not sure what's available in December. There's also gotto be some shopping (perfume, clothes, and the like).

For the birthday dinner itself, if you know of some nice restaurants that won't cost more than several hundred dollars, that would be great. Wine and good food are what it's all about.

I don't know the city all that well, so for the hotel I'd like to find a small B&B that's close to things.

Thanks again for your help...

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long 4-Day weekend in Paris

Hi -

You're a good husband. My first time to Paris was a surprise gift by my husband. As Sabrina said, "Paris is always a good idea", and especially if it's a gift.

Compared to San Francisco I think you'll find that you pretty much break even. Some things will be a little more costly, and some will be more affordable. The budget control items are the same old, same old. Drink the house wine, and don't drink imported spirits. Coca Cola should be bought from the supermarket, not in a cafe, brasserie, or whatever. Watch the minibar - the pressure sensitive ones are in Paris, too. There will be no removing items to make room for your outside purchases because the electronic cashier charges your room every time an item is lifted up within the fridge. Try the tap water. There is no reason to drink bottled water except that you dislike the flavour of the stuff that comes out of the faucet. Paris' water has a very high mineral content so many folks just don't like it. It's fine for me, so I buy mineral water only when I want a sparkling beverage.

I also fly from the West Coast sometimes. The trip is about 9 hours and the time difference is about the same. It's very tough on the body, and the adjustment takes time. It really isn't any easier when I fly from our home on the East Coast, it just sounds like it.

It's really important that you get, and read, a guide book or two, and get a map. I like the StreetWise series and the Knopf City Guide series. Once you're in Paris you should get a copy of Paris par Arrondissement. You can sometimes get it from amazon.com, but it's more costly and won't be a souvenir of the trip if you buy it there. If you go to Amazon.com and do a search for Paris guides and sights in the book section, you'll turn up a bajillion items, some of which will interest you a lot, I think; Hemingway's Paris, a book on Paris museums, and historic neighbourhoods. The Amazon search engine is a little too broad for my taste, you'll get a bunch of guide books for various other countries, but make your way through the maze and you should find some gems.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long 4-Day weekend in Paris

A perfectly acceptable 2-star hotel room can be had in central Paris for around €100-€120 a night, 3-star for about €130 a night and up, and of course correspondingly more for a 4-star. Note that the French star system does not tell you anything about the quality of the hotel or how well-run it is. It is simply an objective measure of the hotel's amenities, room size and so on.

For your "several hundred dollars" there is a very wide choice of fine restaurants available. Perhaps you could be a bit more specific as to your upper limit, and whether the amount is the total cost of the meal including wine, etc. Also if you start thinking and posting in Euros rather than US$$$ you will both make life easier for yourselves wheen you get to Paris and make it easier for us here. Not everyone on these boards is American.

And I totally agree that you should try to add at least two or three days to your time in Paris.

San Diego
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long 4-Day weekend in Paris

If you extend your stay to 5 nights then you usually can meet the minimum day requirements for apartment rentals. Early December is a slow time so you shouldn't have trouble finding something.

Vacation In Paris has a wide range of apartments - they are well recommended here at TA and are based in the US (NY) and priced in $.

http://www.vacationinparis.com/index.html

8. Re: Long 4-Day weekend in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2010, 06:21