We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in february.

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brasilia
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Topic
Walking in february.

Next year, I'll finnaly get to go to Paris and London for the first time. Being from a (very) warm country, I've never experienced a proper winter. I've been learning about what to expect and what precautions to take (any advice is, of course, welcomed) but there is one thing that puzzles me. I've been looking for good hotels and they usually mention stuff like 'a 10 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower', 'a 15 minute walk to the louvre'.

My question is... does the winter in Paris allows for a 10-15 minute walk? Or will I be reaching for a cab or taking the subway even for the smallest of journeys?

I appreciate any help.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in february.

You'll only know your tolerance when you arrive.

I walk just about everywhere in every season in Paris (or ride a bike). Yes, sometimes you can get chilled to the bone, but that's what cafés are for.

Actually, there are been quite a few winters where it doesn't even get down to freezing inside the city limits. However, last year we had a "real" winter for once.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in february.

I have been to Paris each of the last 2 Februarys (2008 and 2009), and both times the weather was sunny and beautiful...for February. Temps were much warmer than my home in Vermont near the Quebec/Canada border. So for me, walking was no problem, and was delightful, I didn't take a taxi even once.

However, you are from Brasilia. If 40 degrees F sounds absolutely foreign and frigid to you, you might indeed struggle in such a climate.

My advice is wear plenty of layers, and have some very warm, comfortable handgloves, a scarf to cover your neck, and earmuffs or a hat.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
166 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking in february.

Completely agree with the advice about layers. I;ve been to Paris in February and it was cold but sunny and dry. The coldest I have ever been in my life (aand I've skied, but only in Europe) was New York in Feb - Paris was like summer in comparison. And if you are cold - find a cafe, hot chocolate and people-watching. Perfect.

Brasilia
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking in february.

Thanks, everyone. I actually tend to be confortable in cold weather, but, like I said, I've never experienced this kind of cold. I'm certainly feeling more relaxed about the idea now.

;)

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking in february.

As far as walking is concerned the only thing that may affect time is if you happen to coincide with snow, when it may get a bit slushy and slippery underfoot. Hovever, there is nothing like being the first person to walk through a patch of snow.

Boise
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking in february.

Look into purchasing silk long johns in case your cold tolerance level is low. The silk long johns are light, pack easy, and will keep you extra toasty in case of a heavy winter in Paris. Best winter investment I can suggest.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
827 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking in february.

Taterblader - cool name, made me chuckle. Good advice too.

Yankee
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking in february.

I can't help but laugh when I read "this kind of cold". Paris doesn't get cold. Above freezing isn't that cold. But, I guess it's all what you're used to.

I think you'll do fine and enjoy your trip a lot! So what if you're all bundled up and the locals are in T-shirts.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking in february.

The problem with wearing your Bronco Nagurskis in Paris is that, while they may keep you all warm and toasty in all the right places while you are out strolling, they might be uncomfortably warm in a museum or restaurant.

And asking the cloakroom or your waiter if you can check your long johns might be a tad bit embarrassing..

10. Re: Walking in february.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2010, 05:18