We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decisions...re:Sacre Coeur

Isle of Mull...
Level Contributor
138 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Decisions...re:Sacre Coeur

Just under 3 weeks now until we set off for our first trip to Paris. I don't want to do too much planning but have made a rough list of places to visit, I know that in 3 days it is impossible to see everything and I'd rather really enjoy a few places than be rushing about everywhere. The thing is I was going to leave the Sacre Coeur out this time and concentrate on more central things eg Notredam, Saint Chappelle, Eiffel Tower and a few more. We are hoping to walk everywhere ( staying in 5e), and enjoy just looking at streets buildings etc.

I was speaking to a friend the other day and she thinks leaving out the Sacre Coeur is a big mistake. Any opinions?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,623 Reviews
Paris, France
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
634 Reviews
from US$48.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator Exclusive: Eiffel Tower Visit...
153 Reviews
from US$55.70*
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decisions...re:Sacre Coeur

I am sure you will receive MANY opinions on this. Everyone will have different ideas on must sees in Paris. If you don't want to hyper plan your trip and rush around, I agree you should stay more central. 3 days really isn't much time. I was trying to count how many times I have visited Paris, around 15, and I feel like I have just seen the tip of the iceburg. Whatever you are able to do and see on you trip will be wonderful and special.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Miami
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Decisions...re:Sacre Coeur

Sacre Coeur and a short walk through Montmartre shouldn't take more than 2 hours, I think if you have time to spare this amount you should go. The view of the city from Sacre Coeur, especially at nightfall is spectacular.

Also Montmartre's small streets transports you to the Impressionists Paris like probably no other place in city.

Mentioned in this post
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,772 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decisions...re:Sacre Coeur

To me Sacre Coeur is the most beautiful church in the city and if the day is clear, the view over the city beats the view from the top of the Eiffel tower. I've been to Paris many many times and Sacre Coeur is always on the list.

We too stay in the 5th but get a 1 day mobilis card for zones 1 & 2 for getting around the city. This gets us to SC and up the funiculaire as well as all other travel on metro and bus for around €8 per day

Mentioned in this post
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,623 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
416 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Decisions...re:Sacre Coeur

Hi, Days -

Here's another of those myriad opinions!

Squeezing Montmartre in really depends on how much you want to see it. It was at the very top of our list...but then, we had 8 days. In my case, I would've gotten myself there in ANY event!

The church deserves a look-see...definitely the view from the top of the steps. The real charms lies in the atmosphere of the former artists' colony...the Place du Tertre and all the wonderful little streets around it. As another poster said, if you're pushed for time, you can probably do it in a couple of hours. It's WELL worth it.

Probably better not to go on a Sunday, like we did. Didn't originally plan it that way....it just happened. Was terribly crowded around and in the Place du Tertre. Better when we got away from it. That was September. November may not be so bad.

Mentioned in this post
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,772 Reviews
Paris, France
Place du Tertre
Place du Tertre
961 Reviews
Paris, France
over here
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Decisions...re:Sacre Coeur

hello - here's more opinions. :)

No one will deport you if you miss any one particular monument. I love Sacre Coeur and the area around it. But with only three days, you have to go with what you like. If you want art, focus on museums. People watching? Then roam the streets of the Marais and Latin Quarter. But if you like churches and such, you can't miss (IMHO) Sacre Coeur. Personally, I'd skip the Eiffel Tower but I've been up twice. The good thing is, being in Scotland, you can take advantage of those lovely Ryanair flights and go back!

p.s. - don't miss St. Chappelle though! It's stunning and about as central as you can get.

Mentioned in this post
Latin Quarter
Latin Quarter
3,784 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,623 Reviews
Paris, France
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Bea
Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Decisions...re:Sacre Coeur

Hello Cointing,

Montmartre and the church of Sacre Coeur is interesting. High up on a hill overlooking Paris and with some great history of impressionist artists. While it is often very crowded and a "tourist" trap.... it is a nice one. There are great views of the city from in front of the church and almost anywhere you find a clearing.

The church of Sacre Coeur is lovely, but not very old as Paris churches go....built in the late 19th century or early 20th, I believe. You will see it off in the distance from many high places around Paris.

As someone suggested (if you can figure out how to get there easily) a couple hours might be of value. It really only needs a short visit. If your time is short, it's fine to just leave out (this time).

Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Montmartre
Montmartre
15,772 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Toronto
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decisions...re:Sacre Coeur

I definetely wouldn't miss Sacre Coeur. I found it to be one of the most beautiful sites in Paris. The view from up top is wonderful (on a clear day) and the ambience is one of the best in Paris. Last time I was there (september) there was this guy playing the harp and it was amazing. Plus the little shops around Sacre Coeur are great for souvenirs. In my personal opinion, I didn't exactly love Paris as a whole but I did love going up and around Sacre Coeur.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Isle of Mull...
Level Contributor
138 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decisions...re:Sacre Coeur

Thank you so much for your replies, Sacre coeur does sound lovely I think i might "re-shuffle" my things to see list!!

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Decisions...re:Sacre Coeur

counting days,

I'm just back from my 5th trip to Paris.

The metro will take you very close to Sacre Coeur

in a minimum of time. I lit candles there several

times and it is quite majestic and peaceful. Wonderful

architecture.

If you choose to stop by for a look, don't miss

the artists square at Monmartre.

My look turned into several hours and I

bought a painting.

Two for the price of one, can't miss.

Whatever else you do, don't miss

St. Chappelle.

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
416 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Decisions...re:Sacre Coeur

Randy.....I too lit a candle in Sacre Coeur, for my mother who died almost a year ago. It was always her dream to travel to Europe, especially Paris. If she'd stayed healthy longer, I could have taken her myself. During the days when she was able, I couldn't afford it. Also bought a lovely votive candle there, brought it home and have it in front of her framed photo.

Another place with nice, decorated candles for sale is Notre Dame. I also lit one there, then bought one just like it for 5E.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France