We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hour layover at CDG - Is it possible to visit the city?

Oregon
Level Contributor
404 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
7 hour layover at CDG - Is it possible to visit the city?

My husband and I are flying through CDG next June, and have from 8:35 am until 4 pm in Paris. Is it possible to stow carry-on bags at the airport? (Most airports don't allow this anymore, I know.) If this is allowed, would it be possible to get to the city and back to the airport for a 4pm flight? And if so, any recommendations on how best to do this and what to see? I was in Paris once before, but it has been decades, and hubby has not been there.

Thanks for any help on this!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
572 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.40*
San Diego
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hour layover at CDG - Is it possible to visit the city?

This was covered is quite a bit of detail in the following topic:

tripadvisor.com/…20056518

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hour layover at CDG - Is it possible to visit the city?

Bagages du Monde at CDG will store your baggage (for a sizable fee...) for a few hours. Google them. Their location at CDG may be inconvenient for you and you *might* have a problem with quick retrieval of your stuff. I have no idea how efficient their operation is as I have never used them.

It will probably take you the better part of an hour to clear customs and immigration and get your carry-on bags taken care of. You need to be back at your security checkpoint at CDG AT LEAST an hour before your onward flight assuming your onward flight is to somewhere in Europe and assuming you are checked through to your final destination, significantly earlier if not. Give yourselves AT LEAST 1.5 hours to get into Paris and back to CDG and you'll be doing well to have much more than 2.5-3 hours in the city — IF your flight arrives on time.

What I would do is take the RER to St. Michel/Notre Dame and have a bit of a walk round that area. You'll probably appreciate that after a long flight. Have something quick and light for an early lunch and head back to CDG no later than one-ish.

You could extend your time in Paris and reduce the uncertainty factor if you limit your carry-on stuff to what you could manage to take with you. Either way you need to plan this carefully ahead of time. You need to know exactly how to get back to CDG without missing a beat. And you need to know exactly where you have to go to get to the security area for your outbound flight after picking up your carry-on bags. And be ready to cut your visit short and head back if time is starting to run out on you.

Level Contributor
3,498 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hour layover at CDG - Is it possible to visit the city?

I was going to agree w/ Irish...you will want to head back to the airport by about 1 p.m. to be safe.

You could also store your bags at one of the train stations. Gare du Nord is on the RER route into the city, you could store them there at the consigne.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hour layover at CDG - Is it possible to visit the city?

I would suggest at least 45 minutes to get into town from CDG and visa Versa. If there is trouble on the road it could take more time. This is in addition to getting thru immigration, getting rid of the carry on stuff, and then getting back with the required check in time, be it an hour or two hours. I think I would take a good book and relax and just plan on coming back to see Paris on another day when you can take your time.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 hour layover at CDG - Is it possible to visit the city?

If you give yourself only 45 minutes to travel to CDG on the roads, you'll miss your flight.

I wouldn't attempt to make it in 45 minutes at any time of the week -- you'd be very, very lucky to make it.

Leave yourself 1-1/2 hours as originally suggested.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,493 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 hour layover at CDG - Is it possible to visit the city?

Hey all, if this is a familiar question then you could consider putting it up permanently under Top Questions there on the right.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,493 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 hour layover at CDG - Is it possible to visit the city?

For example, take a look at this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g185492-i369-Cape_…

The first three questions are asked over and over and over again.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 hour layover at CDG - Is it possible to visit the city?

I absolutely wouldn't recommend that you use any means of travel other than the RER to get into Paris or back to CDG, and certainly not a taxi or a bus..

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,737 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 hour layover at CDG - Is it possible to visit the city?

I'd consider it if your onward flight is elsewhere in Europe.

If it's back to the US or another international destination you might be shocked at what you'd have to pay for a walk up ticket if you miss your flight... ;^(

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 hour layover at CDG - Is it possible to visit the city?

Yes, if it's a Schengen European flight, you'll have significantly more time.

If you take the RER into the city, you can always store your bags in the lockers at Gare du Nord for a few hours. (Unfortunately, the lockers are at the opposite end of the station from the RER.)