We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi cost from Porte Maillot to Marriott Rive Gauche?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rathnew, Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi cost from Porte Maillot to Marriott Rive Gauche?

Hi all

I looked this up and a previous poster said it was between 12-15 euros.

I emailed the hotel and they said €50 and its approx 40 mins.

I google mapped it and its saying it is 14km away so unless the traffic is very heavy I cant see how this would take this long or cost so much

Can anyone give me a definite please. I've also read they charge for bags.

Thanks!

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi cost from Porte Maillot to Marriott Rive Gauche?

Metro is much cheaper ! Get on the metro at Porte Maillot and head towards station Charles de Gaulle Etoile. Change platforms here and in direction of Nation, get off at Saint-Jacques station. On my map it looks like the closest metro to your hotel. I know sometimes you think its easier and safer just to get a taxi, but evryone uses the metro in Paris and once you use it a few times you'll wonder why you didn't. Take some euro coins with you as we had to use the ticket machines because the desks were closed. The machines have an english language option so its really easy. You will get there in half the time.

Hope it's a good help

Nicola

USA
Level Contributor
27,107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi cost from Porte Maillot to Marriott Rive Gauche?

>>>I looked this up and a previous poster said it was between 12-15 euros.

I emailed the hotel and they said €50 and its approx 40 mins.<<<

The taxi fare from the regular taxi ranks (best to cross over to the Hôtel Concord La Fayette to find a taxi) near to the BEAUVAIS SHUTTLE drop off point near Port Maillot to the MARRIOTT RIVE GAUCHE--17 Blvd. Saint Jacques (at: rue Dareau) 74014, Métro: Saint Jacques & Glaciere should run in the range of 11€-14€.

As noted, you can wlk down Blvd. Pershing to the PORTE MAILLOT Métro station (approx. 200 meters) and take the #1 Métro ligne (heading in the direction of Vincennes) to CHARLES DE GAULLE-ÉTOILE...then make the ligne/train change over to the #6 Métro ligne (heading in the direction of Nation) to the SAINT JACQUES Métro station...then a short walk along Blvd. Saint Jacques (approx. 250 meters) to the hotel.

I suspect that there was a mis-communication with your hotel...and they gave you their estimate of the taxi fare from CDG.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi cost from Porte Maillot to Marriott Rive Gauche?

I think the hotel misunderstood and quoted you from the airport to the hotel... the 12-15€ sounds about right. The driver may go around the peripherique rather than cut through Paris, so don't think it's a rip if he does. Also, there is a per-bag fee around 1-2€ so again not a rip.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi cost from Porte Maillot to Marriott Rive Gauche?

It also cannot possibly be 14 km from PM to the MRG. I haven't bothered mapping it but in a straight line I would guesstimate it at about 7 km.

Paris streets are not THAT convoluted...

Rathnew, Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi cost from Porte Maillot to Marriott Rive Gauche?

Thanks everyone hotel came back and made a mistake. Yes if you select driving on google maps it says 14km but we are going to take the metro...

Thanks again

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi cost from Porte Maillot to Marriott Rive Gauche?

Google maps is wrong. Mappy gives the distance as 7 km, which pretty much corresponds with what I suggested based on a quick look at a paper map.

Online mapping services are not a substitute for real maps, at least not yet, but a useful supplement and mainly for their interactive features.

http://fr.mappy.com/#d=Porte+Maillot%2C+Paris&d=17+boulevard+Saint-Jacques%2C+Paris&lm=r&p=itinerary

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi cost from Porte Maillot to Marriott Rive Gauche?

Apparently TA didn't like that link. Try this one:

http://tinyurl.com/ykdgp8h

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
516 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi cost from Porte Maillot to Marriott Rive Gauche?

My son and daughter arrived at Porte Maillot after midnight (from Beauvais) last week and got a taxi to the Marais. As it was so late I thought this was the best option. They were charged €45 which was a scandalous amount for that trip. The taxi driver refused to turn on his meter. There were only 4 taxis at the rank and lots of people looking for a taxi so they went for it.

Paris taxi drivers have a bad reputation for ripping tourists off and the coachpark at Porte Maillot is a good place for them to pick up the vulnerable and confused.

Having paid €28 for the two bus tickets and €45 for the taxi they could have got a prebooked private shuttle for less although we've never used that service so I can't vouch for it. If you're young and fit use the metro.

USA
Level Contributor
27,107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi cost from Porte Maillot to Marriott Rive Gauche?

>>>Paris taxi drivers have a bad reputation for ripping tourists off and the coachpark at Porte Maillot is a good place for them to pick up the vulnerable and confused<<<

Sorry....but you son's experience notwithstanding...official TAXI PARISIAN taxi drivers do NOT, "...have a bad reputation for ripping tourists off...". Out of the thousands of licensed taxi drivers in Paris, there are certainly some who aren't entirely on the up 'n up...but the overwhelming majority are not planning their days around '..ripping off tourists..'.

Far more often than not, it's a question of '..perceptions..'---dumb tourists, who don't know (nor make the effort to find out) the basics of the official Parisian taxi fare schedule (A, B & C fare rates). As exapmple, there is a significantly HIGHER fare rate--70% higher-- for taxis between midnight and 07:00... than it is during most of the day. In addition to any '..metered..' fare, there are also official '..surcharges..' that may be added separately to the amount shown on the taxi meter--1€ per bag (after the 1st) and 2,75€ per person for a 4th or 5th passenger in the taxi. Another official practice is that when you telephone for a taxi pick-up, the drivers are supposed to 'drop' the meter at the point where they take the dispatched call...so that when a taxi arrives at you pick-up point, there may already be more than the amount of the initial 'drop' (2,10€??) already showing on the meter.

And finally...anytime you get into a licensed taxi and the driver refuses to '..drop..' the meter...you're rollin' the dice...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
516 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi cost from Porte Maillot to Marriott Rive Gauche?

I rest my case KDKSAIL - they were ripped off! Your estimate of €11 - €14 plus 70% for being after midnight plus €1 for the second bag comes to €20 - €25 not the €45 they were charged by a Taxi Parisien.

As you said, and as they knew themselves, they should have got out and left him to the next tourist.