We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running in the 16th?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Running in the 16th?

I'll be in Paris for a couple weeks and would like to run several mornings a week. I'm staying in the 16th (off Kleber between the Arc and the Eiffel). Any suggested running routes of 6 to 7 kms? I'd like to avoid traffic, if possible.

Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$51.80*
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator Exclusive: Eiffel Tower Lunch...
140 reviews
from US$59.40*
USA
Level Contributor
28,616 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running in the 16th?

As in any large, busy city, the way to avoid traffic during runs is to get up and get out before the city comes to life in the mornings.

The distance from ARC de TRIOMPHE, downhill along CHAMPS ÉLYSÉES to PLACE de la CONCORDE, then through JARDIN des TUILERIES to the Pyramid at MUSÉE du LOUVRE is approximately 3.25 km...cross over to the Left Bank and return westward along the Seine to EIFFEL TOWER and the total distance is approximately 6.75 km

Check out these for possible routes for morning runs--

http://www.run.com/city.asp?loc=Paris+fr

www.runtheplanet.com/runningroutes/city.asp…

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,411 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running in the 16th?

Locals tend not to run the city streets. Sidewalks are narrow and running in the street can be daunting with cobble stones and oddly parked cars among the dog mess. So the go for parks. A map will tell you beter than I could, but the Bois de Boulogne is adjacent to the 16th and a very popular place for locals to run. As is the Champs de Mars at the Base of the Eiffel Tower.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running in the 16th?

Absolutely, under no circumstances, should you ever enter a park before full daylight, particularly the Bois de Boulogne.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Running in the 16th?

Thanks, this is really helpful. The Champs/Left Bank run sounds good. It should keep me out of heavy traffic (foot, auto and bike), especially if I can drag my jet-lagged butt out of bed early enough. The link is very helpful too. Thanks!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running in the 16th?

My recommendation would be to head for Champs de Mars or Parc Ranelagh or the bicycle paths along the river, where there are no "concerns". Early in the morning, you could just jog down ave Kleber and around Place du Trocadero, along the riverside quais, along ave George V, Champs Elysees, and back.

Though, with all the walking/strolling one usually does in Paris, all day and night, I can't imagine the need to go jogging in the morning.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
516 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Running in the 16th?

The joggers seem to keep to the parks rather than the sidewalks. The Luxembourg gardens always has lots of joggers going round in circles.

7. Re: Running in the 16th?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 05:19