We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum Pas

lpoms
1 post
Save Topic
Museum Pas

Our family, 2 adults and three teens (19,16,14) are going to Paris Dec. 26-Jan 2. Is it worth it to get the museum pass at this time of year and will we need 3?

Edited: 25 November 2009, 04:32
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
545 Reviews
from US$73.00*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
656 Reviews
from US$74.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$122.00*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$124.60*
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum Pas

On Jan 1st most "attractions" will be closed and on Dec 31st some places will close earlier than usually, the Louvre and d'Orsay will close at 5pm. On other days all will work on regular schedule.

If your 19 yo isn't a citizen of the EU then you'll need 3 passes. Take ID for the other two teens (student card or a passport copy) as proof of age.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum Pas

Unless you are going to be doing little except museum-hop for four days I wouldn't think a museum pass would be worthwhile particularly given the time of year you are visiting Paris. If your only reason for buying them is to enable you to avoid the ticket lines, there are other ways of doing that at almost every museum where the lines might be an issue. (The passes will not allow you to skip the lines at the towers of Notre Dame cathedral or at the Sainte Chapelle and they are not valid for the Eiffel Tower.) Also you should take into account that the passes can only be used on consecutive days.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
523 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum Pas

Personally, I never buy any museum pass because I go very slowly in museums. I'd rather see one than jump around. Having said that, the museum pass' chief advantage is allowing you to avoid queues. If that is worth it for you, then go for it.

I do look at this from the viewpoint of someone who has been to Paris many times and not a first timer. The viewpoint of a first timer would probably be different.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum Pas

The Paris Museum Pass is available for 2, 4 or 6 consecutive days. If you plan to visit many museums and/or monuments it can be very good value.

Here is a list of places covered by the pass parismuseumpass.com/en/musees_liste_nom.php

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum Pas

The only place the pass is really useful for skipping the lines is Musee d'Orsay. You can go to the kiosk a day or more ahead of your visit and purchase advance tickets. Or, buy combo tickets at Musee Rodin (these two places are convenient for visiting the same day).

For a seven day visit, it's probably better to visit places leisurely than pack them into consecutive days, especially since you never know about the weather.

Whether it would be a bargain for your group - you have to add the individual admissions - depends on how much rushing around you want to do to get your money's worth and then some.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum Pas

"The only place the pass is really useful for skipping the lines is Musee d'Orsay"

I remember bypassing long lines at Cluny and even Rodin...

Last time I got a Museum Pass we went to d'Orsay, Orangerie and up the Arc de Triomphe in the evening on one day, then to Panthéon, Cluny and Ste Chapelle on another.

With no "rushing around" what so ever I saved about 20 euros and skipped a few lines (my teen got in free of charge).

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,673 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museum Pas

I don't see the advantages of a MP,, I got one two day one once,, and wasted it really. It helped at Orsay,, but I only do one or two museums a day,, so saved no money,, and found only a line at the Orsay,, Cluny had no line,, and Louvre don't need MP to avoid lines.

I wouldn't bother ,, unless one really thinks they will see more then 3 sites a day.. then perhaps it will work out for best.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museum Pas

"I wouldn't bother ,, unless one really thinks they will see more then 3 sites a day"

Generally, 2 sites a day will cover the cost of a pass.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Museum Pas

We found one of the major advantages to having a Museum Pass was that it allowed us to come and go (especially from the Louvre) as much as we liked. Even if we found we only had an hour or two, it was wonderful to wander through galleries, especially in the evening.

We saw far too many people looking exhausted after their 8 hour day at the Louvre, trying to maximize their one day ticket.

With teens that might be one very important bonus worth considering.

10. Re: Museum Pas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2010, 05:20