We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which district best for me ?????

innisfail
Level Contributor
213 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which district best for me ?????

4 adult women are visiting paris for 4 nites in July - don't want to be too far out. Will go to disneyland and hopefully Versailles. And enjoy the local sights. It seems all districts are recommended. i was looking at 2/4/11 and 16. Any recommendations ???

Sydney
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which district best for me ?????

I've stayed in the 4th (close to the border of the 3rd) and are staying in the 6th next May. Both great locations and within walking distance to most of the major attractions. Definitely stay closer if you can it's wonderful to be able to walk everywhere.

Hope you all have a great time.

Versailles
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which district best for me ?????

In order to avoid metro during summer and visit main sightseeing sites by foot, stay in 1st, 4th or 6th district !

Walking on Paris streets during summer is such a good experience !

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
516 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which district best for me ?????

I'd recommend the 4th also. It's a good place for shopping, dining and for setting off to sightsee each day, but I'm not sure about 4 adult women wasting a day in Disneyland when you've only 4 days to see the city.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
326 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which district best for me ?????

I also recommend the 4th. Ile St. Louis to be exact!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
587 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which district best for me ?????

I just spent two weeks in France, and one of the hardest decisions we had was which arrondessment to stay in. I google earthed, asked TA, etc and ended up in the 4th - which beat out the 5th and 6th.

Unfortunately for us, we wished we had stayed in the others - not where we were. Hard to put my finger on 'why' but we walked the city extensively and we just enjoyed the ambiance of the 5th and 6th a bit more.

Having said that - you really can't go wrong as they're all about the same in the respect that each has quiet streets, busy streets, some near metro's and others not, etc. Stay as close to city center as you can and everything will be assessible to you.

I would recommend if you can google the street (s) you are considering, that will help you out a bit. If you google the street, or use gmaps pedometer, you will see just how close your apt/hotel is to metro stops.

Also, for us - we didn't have a good pastry shop near us, and that would have been heaven in the AM so I could go out and bring fresh pastries back to my family. Of all the quality patry shops in France, we had to be next to the one that was just so-so. Maybe a blessing in disguise?

In the end, I think when you visit the city you may feel like we did - 'oh, next time I think we'll try this location....'. Gives you something to look forward to.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,828 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which district best for me ?????

I suggest you check the 6th, between St-Germain Blvd and the Seine, charming, lively area, very central, with good transportation options and close to many sights.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which district best for me ?????

The 16th is somewhat sterile, so any of the other districts you suggest would be better, IMO. Also, for a 4 night stay, you are taking yourself out of the city TWICE--once for Versailles, and once for Disneyland--and that's at least one time too many. I think you may be selling yourself short on Paris itself. I suggest you choose the arrondissement that best suits your budget and personality (night owl? early riser? etc) and then focus on "enjoying the local sights," rather than talking the day trips out of town. If you spend enough time in Paris, you can see the arrs for yourself no matter where your lodging is.

8. Re: Which district best for me ?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2010, 06:25