We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and where to go????!

liverpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay and where to go????!

Dear people,

I am doing a road trip through Europe during Dec/Jan and planning on staying 3 nights. I would just like some advice on best places to stay (max. £25 per person/per night), and the best things to do/see and what not to miss. Also if you know the names of the best night life spots.....much appreciated

Thanx!!

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
JAN
JAN
1,157 Reviews
Nice, France
Florida
Level Contributor
17,364 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

Do you have anything planned? Most people would be glad to help you build from a basic plan, otherwise it's easiest to just refer to a condensed guidebook like:

amazon.com/Top-Paris-Eyewitness-Travel-Guide…

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,336 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

Looks like you should be considering youth hostels for lodging. There are 3 MIJE hostels in the Marais area that you can look into. Use the search on this forum. But at 27ish Euros each, I think hostels will be the way to go. You don't have a lot of time, so you better look into availability very soon.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

I agree with mcal that you should try to get in to the MIJE hostels in the Marais and you may also be there during the period where they allow residents to have a 3 course dinner for only 3 Euros a night!! Continental breakfast is included in the room price.

http://www.mije.com/paris_individuels_uk.html

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,336 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

Thanks for this link, faux. I will save it for my son.

liverpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

I have a car, so I could stay a little out of the main city centre if it is cheaper, but i do need parking?

I want to see all the 'must see' things in paris

I would also like a good night club for Friday night

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,336 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

If you mean staying outside the city itself--that would not be a good plan. If you mean staying in a part of the city that is not "central Paris" (single digit arrs 1 thru 9 is usually what that means--often arrs 10 thru 20 are less expensive for lodging and dining), then you will take public transportation to the places you want to see--you will not be driving your car. To find lodging in the city that offers parking will be expensive--and you must expect to pay about 25 Euros per day to park in a lot.

But the main point is not to be considering driving from area to area within the city.

Where are you coming FROM--what previous destination? If your car is parked in that city, perhaps it would be best to leave it there and take a train into Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
liverpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

we will be arriving from Monte Carlo. Ideally we would like to be located within a few kilometres from paris city centre and then use public transport if necessary to see the city

Mentioned in this post
Monte Carlo
Monte Carlo
389 Reviews
Paris, France
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

My Dad (in his early 80s) does many car trips in UK and Europe. He always stays at this hotel on the north side of Paris.

www.hoteldefrance.org/access_map_en.php

He said it is very easy to drive the car to the local station, get a train into Paris and do the things he wants to. Knowing my Dad as I do, I can assure you he would not do it if it worked out more expensive than staying in the city and parking a car. :)

You will "waste" time getting to and from the hotel to the city. Only you can decide whether that is outweighed by the cost of staying in the centre and parking your car.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

Hi Kiddah

This B&B, La Guriniere, is located in Malakoff to the South of Paris just outside the periphique road and close to a metro station on line 13. At 90 Euros for a double including breakfast, plus 5 Euros if you want to park on the property, it is about double your 25 Euros a person (I am assuming you want a double?). The TA reviews are good and there is a lot of praise for the home made pastries at breakfast

http://www.laguriniere.fr/The%20place.html

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay and where to go????!

My suggestion would be that you look for an inexpensive chain hotel, probably an Étap or similar close to the Périphérique and if possible within walking distance of a métro station. I'm pretty sure there is one close to the Porte d'Orléans and there may be another close to the Porte d'Italie. Both locations would be reasonably convenient as you are arriving from the south. Since you will have a car you could of course drive a short distance to the métro if you had to provided there was adequate reasonably cheap parking nearby. If you find a hotel in a suitable location I would email them to check out both the overnight parking and the daytime "Park & Drive" options. Try www.accorhotels.com and www.etaphotel.com