We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trains to ferries

ny
Level Contributor
755 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
trains to ferries

I was wondering if I purchased tickets for a ferry from Calais to Dover (as a back up in case Eurostar is still not running on Sunday) how difficult it would be to get last minute train tickets from Paris to Calais. Where I live, local train tickets are never an issue and don't need to be purchased in advance. Also, is raileurope the only way to prepurchase them if necessary? thank you!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,222 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trains to ferries

You would probably be OK, but as you would need to meet a particular ferry, it might be prudent to book. Paris to Calais is some 180 miles, so these are not local trains.

Do not use RailEurope: they charge a substantial fee on top of the ticket price and do not list all the trains. If you will be in Paris a day or so beforehand, go to any SNCF station or boutique and buy the tickets. Otherwise, you should be able to book at www.tgv-europe.com/en but say you are from Great Britain. If you say you are from USA, you get switched back to RailEurope.

ny
Level Contributor
755 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trains to ferries

thank you!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trains to ferries

If you book your travel now and pay full fare you can cancel your booking and get a full refund up to the time of departure of the train for which you are booked.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trains to ferries

PS: You would be paying full fare if you booked at the last minute in any case so you have nothing to lose.

ny
Level Contributor
755 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trains to ferries

thanks - I am going to see what Eurostar's announcement today brings....

6. Re: trains to ferries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2010, 05:18