We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Which area ?

ireland
Level Contributor
362 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Help - Which area ?

My husband has just told me he is taking me to Paris for my 30th Birthday the beginning of April. Neither of us have ever been before and rather ashamably know little about the city with regards to area's / districts . We plan on going for 4 nights, will fly to CDG, will want to see the main sights, louvre but not many more musuems, and will enjoy people watching, relaxing over long lunchs, and romantic walks. Nightlife is not that important, will be happy with a nice bar and decent restaurant. My question is when i start to search for a hotel ( budget approx €100 per night) which area should i look in, we dont mind some walking , and would be willing to travel by metro 30 mins each morning to reach the centre if necessary, sorry for the long winded question, and will appreciate any help

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Which area ?

1. You may want to check hotels in either the 5th or 6th arrondissements. Hotels here will generally cost no more to reach from CDG than hotels farther out and you probably can find acceptable accommodations here and spend no more than you would elsewhere. Start by using the ¨Paris Hotels¨ link in the upper left portion of this web page.

2. I shall not discourage your visiting le Louvre but if you are limiting your museums visits to one location, you might find Musée d´Orsay a more compelling visit:

www.musee-orsay.fr

3. Public transportation is very good in central Paris. One strategy is to purchase a book of 10 tickets (good on the bus/RER/Métro for any area of Paris served by the Métro) which you and your husband can share (11.60€). Even if you purchase several booklets (or carnet in French), this is often the most economical approach.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Which area ?

If you go to Musee d'Orsay, the upper floor that usually houses the Impressionists works is being renovated and the paintings,etc are displayed in other areas of the museum.. Check the floorplans on the website to get an idea of where anything 'famous' (in your opinion :) can be found (Nov'09-March 2011)

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/home.html

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Which area ?

<<... the paintings,etc are displayed in other areas of the museum.. Check the floorplans on the website to get an idea of where anything 'famous' (in your opinion :) can be found ... >>

Actually, 112 of them (including some of the most " famous") are currently on display at the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra, and will then by going to San Francisco and Japan.

nga.gov.au/Exhibition/MasterpiecesFromParis/

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Paris
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Which area ?

For your budget, you may wish to consider Hôtel Rive Gauche, at 25 rue des Saints-Pères (6th arr), steps away from the Seine (just opposite the Louvre) and right in the Saint-Germain-des-Prés district. This gives you both great location and a very reasonable price (I believe doubles run around €100). Not sure if they have an official site, but here are some links with more info:

www.booking.com/hotel/fr/rive-gauche.en.html

activehotels.com/wl/…

5. Re: Help - Which area ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 07:17