We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brown bagging on a seine cruise?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
876 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Brown bagging on a seine cruise?

The term brown bagging may not be familiar to all. It dates back to when not all restaurants had liquor licenses and you would take your own, discreetly of course, in a brown bag. This was a socially acceptable custom.

That said, would it be acceptable to carry a bottle of champage and flutes onto an evening cruise on the Seine? Or do they have bar service and prefer you buy from them? I'm referring to the regular, sight seeing cruise, not the dinner cruises.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,826 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brown bagging on a seine cruise?

Drinking in public is officially frowned upon if not explicitly illegal in France. Accordingly I should not carry an open container nor consume alcohol as a passenger even on a sight seeing vessel unless it is purchased from the operator. Some operators may serve drinks but some of these cruises are not really that long so you may want to check with the tour company in advance in reference to what they may offer.

Edited: 30 January 2010, 16:46
Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brown bagging on a seine cruise?

the Canauxrama Bistro cruise has a bar on board.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,052 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brown bagging on a seine cruise?

Sarastro, having a bottle of wine and a couple of glasses is legal on the Champs de Mars (and many other parks and green spaces) until 4pm -- the rules are written to enable them to crack down on teenage binge drinking. I've seen many occurrences where older adults with a loaf of bread, some cheese, and bottle of wine and glasses (no drinking from the bottle, please!) is "not noticed" by the gendarme strolling past. Subtlety is a big word here -- if you're sitting quietly with the bottle tucked into a bag and behaving like adults, you're not likely to run into problems.

Having said that, however, I wouldn't do it on one of the cruise boats. If they have a bar on board, then I'd buy it from them; otherwise, I'd hold off until later. (Did you know you can buy a flute of champagne at the top of the Eiffel Tower? Yep, there's a tiny cupboard of a bar there - it's around 10E for a glass.)

4. Re: Brown bagging on a seine cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 October 2015, 16:38
uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brown bagging on a seine cruise?

if they do not have a bar the only issue they would have is with the glasses and glass bottle (health and safety......................) etc etc.

And if they have a Bar it would be SO rude to bring your own that surely you would not think of that.....

But by all means there are no issues in Paris with people toasting whatever

occasion in places. We do it ....it is France!!!

chin chin

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brown bagging on a seine cruise?

As a passenger I would be horrified if somebody opened a bottle of Champagne and started toasting on the Vedettes de pont Neuf whilst the tour was on.....it is just not that sort of cruise. Beside it would be very rude and distracting to other passengers to be toasting over the commentary.

I don't remember anyone drinking alcohol when I took the cruise. The Captains bar sold snacks and soft drinks as far as I can remember but I may be wrong.

I cannot speak for other cruises.

Could you not have your toast in the square de Vert Galant parc at the end of the Ile de Cite before or after your cruise? This is where you board the boat and it is a lovely spot.

Denise

love from England

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brown bagging on a seine cruise?

Thank you all for the replies. I, too, subscribe to Sunshine's "behaving like adults" mentality for drinking alcohol in public places. And a bar at the top of Tour Eiffel; too funny.

As for my question...I was just wondering, thinking, planning (it's what I do). I saw some champagne tours on some of the websites and thought they really jacked up the rate for two or three glasses of bubbly (unless they are serving the Grand Dame, which I somehoe doubt) and was thinking maybe I could create my own champagne cruise. Maybe we'll just picnic in the park.

Somewhere I had read a recommendation to bring your own picnic on the Saint-Denis Canal boats, which is where my thinking began. Grndma, the last thing I want to do is horrify anyone. And frenchanglo, if there was a bar on board the boat I would not be opening my own, perhaps I phrased my question poorly.

Thanks again for the replies.

Edited: 31 January 2010, 13:02
simpsonville,sc
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brown bagging on a seine cruise?

We purchased bottle from cruiseside bar ,were given plastic glasses and took on Vedettes du Pont Neuf 2 years ago.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
748 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brown bagging on a seine cruise?

I've frequently brought drinks on to the Vedettes. The bar at Pont Neuf is a nice little bar, and if you're killing time there before your cruise, the staff will pour your drink into a plastic cup so you can carry it on.

That said, I've never seen anyone popping open a champagne bottle on the cruise!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brown bagging on a seine cruise?

The most likely boats to go completely unnoticed would be the Bateaux-Mouches since they are so big.