We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to Paris, returning Nice to Montreal-Toronto

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto to Paris, returning Nice to Montreal-Toronto

Hey everyone, I'm shaping up my itinerary for France in July and I have no clue as to what is a fair fare for flights (wow, say that 5x fast). I'm from Toronto and will be splitting my time in France between Paris (my start), a couple other cities and Nice (my finish).

Anyway, here's what the fare is looking like:

Flight for Toronto to Paris plus my flight two weeks later from Nice to Montreal = $1100 per person via Air Transat. I then have to gather my luggage and go from Montreal to Toronto = $100 per person via West Jet.

Altogether, $1200 per person on the flights.

I'll be training or renting a car in between but my questions are:

Are these decent prices for flights or should I hold out until spring?

Is there a more economical or efficient way of getting myself back home? It appears that there are no direct flights back to Toronto from Nice

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto to Paris, returning Nice to Montreal-Toronto

Right now (Thursday Feb. 4) a well known travel agency has a flight Vancouver-Paris (I don't know when, which airline, if direct or with a connection in Eastern Canada) for just under $ 900 incl taxes. However I know, for having checked their prices previously, that it is only at certain times, dates etc. and they only have a few seats.

They advertised a similar flight for $ 500 total a few months ago...July and August are busy months in France (hotels in France are usually much more expensive at that time of the year, especially in beach resorts, than at any other months) and flights may be also more expensive too.

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
154 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto to Paris, returning Nice to Montreal-Toronto

We are traveling Toronto-Paris and return in September on Air Canada and the prices are similar to what you are quoting. Why not take the train back to Paris from Nice and travel from there directly back to Toronto on Air Transat? The overall price may be cheaper.

toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto to Paris, returning Nice to Montreal-Toronto

We generally do the south of france first as there are very good connections out of CDG you might want to take a look at air canada to paris train from CDG south maybe picking up a car at Avignon do your tour then pparis Gare De Lyon then stay in Paris cab to the airport and back to toronto

cheers

jim

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto to Paris, returning Nice to Montreal-Toronto

Your airline cost is about the same as I paid for YUL-CDG return in July 2007 bought about 2 weeks ahead of time on Air Transat.

In 2008, again on AirTransat, I paid $777 YUL-Nice return booked a week ahead.

Last summer Air Transat 5 days in advance was $676 YUL-CDG return.

If you can, booking as close to your trip as possible may save you some money. But there is always the element of risk.

Unless the other airfare sites I've been using have not been working as advertised I have not found any flights cheaper... often Air Transat has been half price or less than other airlines. And I have started searching long before flying.

One thing I have found useful on the flights above and a longer one to Greece is to use siteguru.com and use it to decide on which seat

to upgrade to. The extra money has been worth it to my wife and I. It's about $400 each person each way for club class but I can tough it out in economy to save 1,600 bucks!

Rob

toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto to Paris, returning Nice to Montreal-Toronto

Thank you all for your input and suggestions - greatly appreciated!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto to Paris, returning Nice to Montreal-Toronto

Air France has a special on now for the summer and it is around $880.00 CDN. taxes in out of Toronto. If I have a choice of Air Canada or Air France, it is a no brainer: Air France wins hands down. The aircraft are cleaner, the food is better and normally the service is better on the ground. Last trip back from Paris on Air Canada in December, had I not cleaned the wash room the paper would have been up to the top of the sink while the cabin crew sat and read the schedules and tried to decide on which routes to bid on. Go air France and sign up for their frequent flyer plan. You can collect miles with it for use on Delta, KLM etc.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto to Paris, returning Nice to Montreal-Toronto

At $880 that sure piqued my interest but summer departures are over $1,200 on AF. ;^(

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto to Paris, returning Nice to Montreal-Toronto

Those fares are just about what we paid to fly Montreal-> Marseille and return Paris->Toronto in October so that's pretty good for July. The West Jet fare is incredibly good considering our quote was over $300/pp. We used AC miles instead to fly to Montreal.

Have you considered visiting the south of France first? With jet lag and the language barrier it will be much easier to relax and enjoy yourself in a quieter atmosphere rather than "hitting" Paris first. We were extremely glad we gave ourselves time in Provence first. As well, travelling home is easier with a direct flight from Paris. We felt as if we would be able to handle the transfer in Montreal better while still in our "home" time zone, and not after a 7-8 hr flight. Just something to think about......

Air Transat seems to specialize in the flights to several destinations in France out of Montreal, with no penalty if you fly from Paris direct to Toronto on the other leg. I think those prices are pretty reasonable with that in mind. We had absolutely no trouble in the Montreal airport though we bypassed literally hundreds of travellers there as Club Class passengers. Definitely worth it for ease of check in, priority luggage and flight comfort on both legs of the journey.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto to Paris, returning Nice to Montreal-Toronto

Just to clarify......

West jet was $175pp-----I missed the edit time frame.

toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toronto to Paris, returning Nice to Montreal-Toronto

Thanks for your input and suggestions everyone -- as a first timer, it's pretty difficult to work with an itinerary to places I've never been and trying to coordinate times to fly as well as managing costs. I really value your input.

I just checked Air France from Toronto to Paris round trip -- it's looking like $1500 per person for the beginning of July! I don't think I saw the $880 deal:(

Initially my husband and I thought about exploring Southeastern France first and then Paris after (since most of the shopping would be done in Paris and why lug it all the way to Nice right?) but then we thought that it may be a nice 'relaxer' to do Nice, Cannes, Saint Tropez, Monte Carlo, etc. after being in Paris. Paris, from what I've been told, can be exhausting to explore because there's just so much to see. But that's a good suggestion anyhow, I'll look into costs going to NIce first and then flying from Paris back home. If the price is right I'll jump on it!

Wow, thank you for your input and suggestions everyone. I'm getting pressure from the travel agency to book soon but I just wanted to make sure that I'm getting a good deal and they're not just trying to capitalize off of me somehow....