We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten free Paris and a weak minded coeliac

Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten free Paris and a weak minded coeliac

We are visiting Paris in June this year and would like to have advice on a good central hotel which serves a gluten free breakfast as I am a coeliac. We need airconditioning and a gotel with an elevator and preferably close to an area where there are lots of cafes and restaurants.

It is going to be murder for me there especially with all the delicious pastry and cakes so I hope I can be strong and resist all such temptations. I love food and wine. .

Any advice on hotels restaurants etc would be most welcome please

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
548 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
658 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$121.30*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$123.80*
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten free Paris and a weak minded coeliac

Unless you stay at a swanky hotel or one of the big chains, breakfasts are usually limited to croissants/baguette, juice, and coffee/tea/hot chocolate. Unless you book a special rate, breakfast is almost never included. Very few hotels do not have elevators, and more and more have air conditioning.

If you do a search of this forum, the one on Fodor's, the web, you'll find many tips and recommendations (and links to excellent websites) for visiting Paris and dining gluten free.

Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten free Paris and a weak minded coeliac

Thanks DJKBooks, shall have a look at Fodors.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten free Paris and a weak minded coeliac

Hi yno, this article by the well known foodie David Liebovitz has a lot of helpful links and also suggests that you consider staying in an apartment so you have more control over your meals (eg if you are staying 5 days or more). He gives the link to a new gluten free restaurant in Montmartre and a food and "take out" (ie our take away, I think) that is open Tuesday to Saturday.

Luckily you can eat macarons!

davidlebovitz.com/archives/2007/10/glutenfre…

Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten free Paris and a weak minded coeliac

Thanks Faux. Much appreciated. Shall try all the suggestions. The buckwheat pancakes sound wonderful.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten free Paris and a weak minded coeliac

I would second the advice to consider an apartment. My younger daughter is vegetarian and, when staying in a new city with her, it's so much easier not to have to worry about where we will find suitable restaurants to eat dinner every evening. If we find one, great, but if not, I know we will be able to buy the makings of a nice veggie meal from a market/supermarket.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten free Paris and a weak minded coeliac

My Brother in Law is a serious coeliac, and wrote a guest entry on travelling in France on our blog. It's here: …blogspot.com/2009/02/gluten-free-travel-in-…

I would be careful of galettes - they usually aren't 100% buckwheat. Restaurants are very good at cooking gluten free meals especially for you, at least that was our experience.

Simon

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com

Edited: 07 February 2010, 12:29
Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gluten free Paris and a weak minded coeliac

Thanks Wiz of Oz and Sussex Girl, Shall take note of all of these suggestions. However I'm not really partial to vegetarian food and we really like staying in a hotel and being looked after. In Sydney I quite often will ask for a sandwich without the bread at lunchtime and i generally end up with quite a nice salad and meat or cheese or tuna and maybe the same thing will apply in Paris. Hopefully I will find Schar bread in Paris and maybe even gf Italian croissants.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gluten free Paris and a weak minded coeliac

Sorry, I didn't mean you should eat vegi food -LOL! I was just meaning that if travelling with somebody who has special dietary requirements, it's reassuring to have the option of eating in, if you can not find somewhere suitable to eat out! In fact I have not found Paris a problem - the only place we really had difficulty finding suitable restaurants was Brussels; on that holiday we were glad to be able to eat 'at home'.

Mentioned in this post
Lol
Lol
2 Reviews
Paris, France
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gluten free Paris and a weak minded coeliac

We stayed at a bed and breakfast in the 13th arr. that we booked through France Lodge. I let the hosts know that couldn't have bread etc. so had an egg, fruit, yoghurt and tea each morning. You can still enjoy loads of things in Paris. Rice pudding at Chez l'Ami Jean, ice cream, chocolates etc.

Sydney
Level Contributor
920 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gluten free Paris and a weak minded coeliac

French yogurts are really good, often sold in individual glass jars. I tried a hazelnut yogurt in Paris last year and it was superb - best yogurt I've ever eaten.

If you can find a hotel with bar fridges in the rooms, you could stock up on yogurts from a supermarket, plus some fresh fruit, and manage breakfast that way. It is fun to browse French supermarkets and see what's available.

Paris also has good Vietnamese food, and you should be able to find rice paper rolls, for example, as an option for a takeaway lunch. I've also seen hot foods such as paella and sliced potatoes fried up in duck fat being cooked in the markets.

Two years ago I was investigated for gluten intolerance and while I waited for the results I went on an elimination diet. It was really tough, so I admire your dedication. I know I felt quite sorry for myself, because I do love bread in all its forms, and I was incredibly relieved to find out I could go back to eating whatever I liked. Paris will tempt you, that's for sure, but there will be lots of lovely things you can enjoy.

Incidentally, see if you can find a goat's cheese called Cabecou. They are small round cheeses which are mild when newly made and become more intense with age. Totally delicious and impossible to buy in Australia.