We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watching the rates for flights to Paris

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Watching the rates for flights to Paris

My wife and I are headed to Paris at the end of April. Right now flights from St. Louis are running at about $900 round trip per person. Based on anyone's past experience, will that price go down before it goes up. I'm tempted to book now because the all the flights options are still available and I might get a better seating choice. Any thoughts?

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
563 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watching the rates for flights to Paris

From my experience over the last few years (when airfares have returned to the old norm as far as prices), that is a normal price. A normal price from Washington Dulles! Personally, I like to book early enough, at a decent price, to ensure I get a choice of seating since it's an overnight flight. I'm sure you're looking at Kayak type sites for comparisons.

CarolA5501
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Watching the rates for flights to Paris

Airfare sales have been coming later this year, but... it's a risk. As a general rule fares go UP the closer you get to departure. However, just last week one of the air carriers had a Febuary sale for flights through March only.

If it were me I would probably not wait too much longer. One thing you can do is look at flights for about a month from now. What are they running? That might give you the risk "ranking"

(Also, this isnt' around a holiday is it? If it is book now. I can't rmember when Easter is in 2010 off the top of my head)

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,070 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watching the rates for flights to Paris

I'm not an expert, but I think that's a pretty good price but not really amazing. I usually fly through Chicago, not St Louis but for that I paid $1100 in Oct of 08 and $900 in Nov of 09 on American. For Jan this year, it was $1040 through MSP on Northwest/Delta, but that was a last minute trip. I don't fly right out of Chicago, but when I've compared flights from my regional airport through Chicago to flights directly from Chicago, it's usually only $50 or so more. Right now I'm getting prices from $1000-1400 for this coming June to fly into LHR and out of CDG.

Israel
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Watching the rates for flights to Paris

I booked my flights (Air France) for my May trip one week ago. Ever since then, I've been checking the prices, and they keep on fluctuating. They go up, sometimes drop a little and then rise again. Today they are about $250 more than the price I paid.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watching the rates for flights to Paris

We're flying from Bos to Cdg this April and the fares for AA and AF have been the same since December, AF a bit higher and seats are filling so...............

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,070 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watching the rates for flights to Paris

Tried to edit my post but it wouldn't let me. The prices I quoted above were to London. Last June prices to Paris were $1500 booked in Jan and then decreased to about $1000 in March.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,148 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Watching the rates for flights to Paris

In previous years for a flight to Paris from Newark, NJ, I'd watch and the cost would vary every couple of days. Up once, down once, up, etc. This past year I was watching for our April trip and the cost stayed constant for a few weeks, never moving in either direction. It went up $20.00 and stayed there for a while and we booked. I watched for a few more days and it didn't move, then one day went up again, another $20.00.

I was seeing the same thing for a flight to Key West, so I'd suggest booking.

hth

Pjk

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Watching the rates for flights to Paris

I agree; I'd jump on that price. I've been watching and it seems that fares are going up not down. The trick is to book and then stop looking. No sense torturing yourself. (Easier said than done)

Washington D.C.
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Watching the rates for flights to Paris

You can also fly into a cheap entry point in Europe and then use the local airlines to fly from there to Paris. I just did a quick check and it looks like flights from St. Louis to Dublin are in the 700s for end of April.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Watching the rates for flights to Paris

I found a good deal going into London and out of Paris. Even with the additional expense of the Eurostar it was still less than round trip to CDG.

We are going next wee and paid $730. RT on BA from LAX.