We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customer Service in Paris - article

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
919 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Customer Service in Paris - article

Stereotyping again?

…bbc.co.uk/1/…8500246.stm

toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Customer Service in Paris - article

Same old stuff different generation I,ve been going to Paris for a while now and have never had a problem with rudeness , I don't expect Parisians or anyone else to adapt to me after all i,m in their country i get tired of people saying to me " how can you go there everyone is rude" usually from people who have never travelled keep smiling Dinky

cheers

jim

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customer Service in Paris - article

What is exactly wrong with workers thinking of themselves as the customer’s equal or the waiter expecting the same courtesy as he extends to you in calling you monsieur?

They provide a service and we pay for that service. That’s where the relationship begins and where it ends. Expect more and you'll be disappointed. I'm okay with that.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Customer Service in Paris - article

Let's face it, no one would read a newspaper article, listen to a radio show or watch a TV program, saying how nice the Parisian are.

My gauge, to judge service people, is watching how they interact with my travel buddy, an Asian guy who only knows a few polite sentences in French and has to switch to English afterwards.

We have been to Paris regulally since the early 1980s and he has always been treated with respect and kindness. Even when he goes in a store just to ask directions.

He is a born people person, mind you, and doesn't look overbearing or pushy, so that could be why Parisians feel comfortable with him and reveal their inner kindness.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Customer Service in Paris - article

When I first went to Paris as a student in the 1970s, I found that a lot of the older people - my parents' generation - were more formal than I was used to, and seemed rather 'stiff' by comparison with their English counterparts. They were by no means rude; on the contrary, they were sticklers for good manners, but, as I say, very formal and correct.

That generation has long since retired. Those I meet working in restaurants and shops now seem much more relaxed than their parents and grandparents were. What they are not is effusive.

Of course, you can meet anywhere the occasional person who is having a bad day or perhaps dislikes their job.

Forcalquier, France
Level Contributor
69 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customer Service in Paris - article

We French people, can be f.. rude!

Joke apart, expect cultural differences, like I do when I travel to the US or UK.

However, I have noted that the least dumb of my fellow residents try to behave themselves better with foreigners than with other French people.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Customer Service in Paris - article

That article was rather pathetic. You can get whatever you want in Paris if you have the correct cultural tools to ask for it.

7. Re: Customer Service in Paris - article

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 November 2015, 19:17
The Villages...
Level Contributor
189 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Customer Service in Paris - article

Been going to Paris for several years now. Have NEVER had a problem. As a U.S. citizen I HAVE come across much rude customer service here at home. When you travel to different countries you must expect and honor their cultural differences. And one must remember that if you have a bad attitude and manners you will probably get that same attitude and manners back to you no matter where you are. We are thrilled more and more with each trip to Paris.....absolutely love it !

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Customer Service in Paris - article

Read to the end of the article. She also talks about how proud the French are of the services they provide and how good those services are. It may offer a stereotype, but it also offers a positive side to the French service industry as well.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Customer Service in Paris - article

We stayed for 2 nights in Paris and never had any problems with the waiters. Most of them were friendly. One of them even helped to take picture of us.