We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for USA gift to bring to Paris hostess?

Plano Tx
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ideas for USA gift to bring to Paris hostess?

I'd like to bring something from the US as a gift to my Parisian friend/hostess for helping me with my upcoming stay in Paris. While it seems easy for my friends here to come up with gifts they'd like me to bring home from Paris, I'm having a hard time thinking of what to take there as a gift from here. I could just ask her what she's like, but would prefer to come up with something without asking her.

Ideas?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for USA gift to bring to Paris hostess?

In a country where Old El Paso is considered exotic Mexican cuisine, I don't think you could go wrong by bringing a TexMex specialty -- how about a gift basket of salsas and tortillas, if your friend likes TexMex?

A coffee table book with photographs of Texas.

What about a bottle of wine from Texas Hill Country? I've had some very respectable Chardonnays from Texas, and I find people are usually very interested in trying wines from other parts of the world.

Beyond that, something hand-made - a turned wood bowl, a nice piece of pottery.

Something that is unique and special to Texas.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for USA gift to bring to Paris hostess?

Those are great ideas Sunshine.

I have a Parisian friend who covets bottles of BBQ sauce from Texas.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,178 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for USA gift to bring to Paris hostess?

Coffee table books are a very traditional gift over here, so a book of Texas would be well received.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for USA gift to bring to Paris hostess?

There's a wine shop (at least there used to be!) in Dallas Alley (2nd floor, maybe?) that carried a number of Texas wines. I took a few bottles home even then (I lived in the states at that time), because they were good, and it was something different.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,892 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for USA gift to bring to Paris hostess?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well, I'm bringing the usual "Mahalo" gifts that I take pretty much everywhere --- 2 or 3 boxes of chocolate covered macadamia nuts - I'm sure the chocolate is VASTLY inferior to what they are used to -but macadamia nuts must be somewhat exotic, no? And they are made here in Hawai'i.

I don't want to take liquid if possible - so does this sound like a good small gift idea - I like to give them to people who help us - the proprietress of the place we are staying and the friends who helped set up our stay at the Paris Zen Center - and well.....you never know who you are going to meet that does a kindness for you.

Malama Pono (take care),

Janet

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for USA gift to bring to Paris hostess?

I would ask.

There may be something she would love to receive that you'd never come up with.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for USA gift to bring to Paris hostess?

I usually ask if there's something someone wants...but I usually buy an actual gift, too. The International Herald Tribune had a funny story a few years ago about the amount of regional specialties that get carted around the globe by travelers as gifts and special requests.

It's equally possible that you could give her something she'd love to receive that she didn't even know existed.

richmond
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for USA gift to bring to Paris hostess?

What about something Native American--my brother who lives in the southwest got me a beautiful Nambe tray a few years ago. It looks great with fruit. I would check it though because it is metal.

9. Re: Ideas for USA gift to bring to Paris hostess?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 November 2015, 19:46
Essex
Level Contributor
27,991 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for USA gift to bring to Paris hostess?

Thinking about Diz's reply, and the value of 'comestible' gifts that don't hang around cluttering up the place, but wanting to bring something a little more lasting perhaps, - How about a small cookery book with Texas recipes, from native ones, to how to dig a pit large enough to cook a whole buffalo in hay for the ho-down!!!! (Well, I have watched GIANT a few times!!)

Then you could briing some tex-mex bits & pieces to go with that, help your host to cook-up an 'as near as authentic' meal and if nothing else you will all get a good laugh and some nice food out of it??