We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
609 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Labor Day

I arrive in Paris on May 1. I read somewhere that Labor Day Weekend is May 1 and 2. How will that impact things? Will the bus and Metro schedules change? Will some museums be closed, or will they be extremely crowded? How about the stores?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day

Until recent years, just about everything was closed on May 1st. However, public transportation always functioned on the normal 'holiday' schedule.

For about the last 3 or 4 years, quite a few stores remain open and life pretty much goes on as usual. All national or municipal museums will indeed be closed. Privately run operations like the Eiffel Tower, the Grévin Wax Museum or the Erotic Museum will be open.

Edited: 15 February 2010, 18:35
Calabasas...
Level Contributor
609 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day

Thank you for your quick reply. Are the museums closed on just May 1, or also on May 2?

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day

A couple of other museums that will be open are the Musée Jacquemart-André in the 8th and the Espace Salvador Dali in the 18th. All the churches and cathedrals that are normally open to visitors will be open on May day except the Sainte Chapelle as will the parks and gardens. The Seine river cruise boats will also be operating normally. I would expect many of the places that are open to be more crowded than usual.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Day

Everywhere that would normally be open on a Sunday, including the museums, will be open on May 2.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor Day

Holidays never overlap in France.

Dallas, TX
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Labor Day

I also plan to be in Paris on May 1st and checked the websites for some of the major museums such as the Louvre and most of the major museums indicate they will be closed. I also emailed customer service for one of the department stores and they are also scheduled to be closed on May 1st. So check a particular place that you may be interested in seeing first.

Edited: 13 April 2010, 20:12
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Labor Day

However, Monoprix has been open on that day for the past two years! I was stunned. In the old days, the television stations were off the air until 8 pm on May 1st -- oh wow, if only they would do such things again, even though it would be meaningless because of video.

NYC
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Labor Day

I'll be there 5/1 as well. I plan to make that my walk-around day, avoiding museums and other things locals will most likely try to take in on a day off.

Since we're all gonna be there, we should just meet up at a park with some wine and terrine and make a day of it. :)

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Labor Day

We will use the day to visit Chartres, since the Cathedral will be open, and Mr. Miller will be speaking. Seemed the perfect day for a road trip.

10. Re: Labor Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 05:16