We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback Please: Paris to Nice-Plane or Train?

Lakewood, California
Level Contributor
71 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback Please: Paris to Nice-Plane or Train?

Hi There,

We will be visiting Nice from Paris in July. Very undecided on whether to fly or rail? Any suggestions or feedback on cost, convenience, travel time incurred would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Andrea

Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback Please: Paris to Nice-Plane or Train?

Hi,

We used the TGV from Gare de Lyon, booked and paid for tickets online. There is an express ticket office or machines at the station to collect your tickets. Stroll up the platform, find your carriage and jump on. Really simple, pretty quick service - 5 hours from memory - car hire at Nice easy. Can't remember the cost and didn't compare to budget airlines - sorry.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback Please: Paris to Nice-Plane or Train?

If you can book your tickets 3 months in advance at http://www.tgv-europe.com/en/ you'll get the best rail deal. Tickets can be as little as 40 euros.

We did the trip in 2008. It was 5 hours 30 minutes from Paris to Nice.

Is flying faster? Maybe. But when you take into account the time and cost of getting to either Orly or CDG, the time you need to be there in advance for security reasons plus deplaning, waiting for checked luggage and the trip into Nice from the airport... you might as well relax and take the train!

Rob

Lakewood, California
Level Contributor
71 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback Please: Paris to Nice-Plane or Train?

Thank you for the feedback Samiseal and parisamsterdam2007. I appreciate your quick replies. I will definitely consider the train ride. You both made it sound seamless:).

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback Please: Paris to Nice-Plane or Train?

I'll add another vote for the trains. They are quick, and the stations are easy to get to, and you get the added bonus of seeing some of the countryside. The trains are nothing like the ones we have in Canada, so it added to the experience.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback Please: Paris to Nice-Plane or Train?

Another advantage to traveling by train is no luggage restrictions, though you do have to be able to manage everything yourselves. And, train stations are much easier than airports.

Versailles
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback Please: Paris to Nice-Plane or Train?

After living in Nice during 5 years, I will definitely recommend you to take the plane, not the train ! It will actually take you 5h45 if you prefer rail and prices are quite equivalent. You have to know that on Air France for example, they consider Nice as a "shuttle" destination that seem that they offer cheap rates, and low restrictions like :

- 30 minutes boarding before departure only

- Dozen fo flights every single day

Note that on Air France, you can travel with two luggage of 20 kg per person (40kg in total), so it shouldn't be an issue.

In France, many expert consider than train is not a solution (economical, comfort, etc) for trip > 3 hours, and I agree with that....

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback Please: Paris to Nice-Plane or Train?

The lowest PREMs fares Paris-Nice are €22 on the "ordinary" TGVs, €19 on the iDTGVs that can be booked up to six months ahead. There are not many of the latter (two daily in each direction IIRC) and the timings may not suit.

The lowest cost flights will probably be on easyJet. I have not seen fares lower than €49 with them, plus baggage fees, minimally €11 if you check only one bag. Air France's lowest fares are generally around €75 one way and I'm not sure that you can get those fares if you are not travelling round-trip. Unless they have special rules for the Paris-Nice route, which I am not aware of, Air France will only allow one piece of luggage free if you in their lowest fare class. You also need to add the cost of airport transfers to the cost of the flight.

You will be doing well to save much more than 1.5 hours by flying, though regular travellers who know the ropes may be able to do better than that.

The train will allow you both to see some of the countryside and to relax for a few hours.

I've done both. There are pros and cons for either...

Edited: 25 February 2010, 15:35
8. Re: Feedback Please: Paris to Nice-Plane or Train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2010, 05:18