We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel Brive (Assallac) to Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel Brive (Assallac) to Paris

i've tried booking rail tickets for 5 june, but the sites say no tickets are available on that day. Does that mean all train trips, about 7, are ALL booked out? first and second class? what am i doing wrong? what site should i book on? I've tried TGV-europe site and raileurope.com.au site, to no avail. What site shoud i choose to secure a ticket? please help!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel Brive (Assallac) to Paris

There is something odd going on. There are apparently no trains between Brive or Limoges and Paris on 5 June and none before 17:00 on 6 June. However, there is apparently a full schedule of trains for the following week. It seems that the trains for most of that weekend will not be operating for some reason (engineering works on the line?) but I can't find any explanation on the SNCF site. (Doesn't mean it isn't there but it's not very visible if it is...)

The best work-around I can come up with is to travel via Bordeaux. Here are a couple of possible timings:

Brive dep: 07:30; Bordeaux arr: 09:57; Bordeaux dep: 11:25; Paris arr: 14:40

Brive dep: 11:10; Bordeaux arr: 13:47; Bordeaux dep: 14:50; Paris arr: 18:00

The best fare I could find for the first routing €56, for the second €49. The second routing has a change in Périgueux with a 15 minute connection time. You would need to book the two segments (Brive-Bordeaux and Bordeaux-Paris) separately.

If you have a car you could drive to Périgueux or Bordeaux. Another option would be to drive to Angoulême and pick up a Bordeaux-Paris TGV from there.

Hope this helps. It's the best I can think of...

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel Brive (Assallac) to Paris

I also think there's something wrong with the SNCFweb booking system. I've been trying to book a trip/car to Agen and I get everything from "no service to that destination" (for a particular day)... to first class seats for 44€/person. Also, the Avis/SNCF booking system seems to be completely disconnected to the extent that it's not usable. We've booked cars dozens of times (saving hundreds of €€) but I'm skipping it on this journey.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel Brive (Assallac) to Paris

Hi, I hope you have been able to get your tickets. The system is working, because this morning (20 March) I purchased 2 PREMS for the trip Brive to Paris Austerlitz at E17 each. This was for mid June. If you are seeking practical advice for the booking process, there is a good guide to making bookings: www.seat61.com/France-trains.htm. Click on "Buying train tickets on line". It has instructions and also shows the screen you will see for each step. There is also the wonderful guide by Morgan B on Trip Advisor. Good luck, I hope you have got your tickets.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel Brive (Assallac) to Paris

vicolivia -

The OP is trying to book a train on 5 June when still this morning there are no trains showing on the SNCF site. Earlier or later dates (other than June 6) are all perfectly normal. The problem is at the SNCF end not with anything the OP is or is not doing.

BTW we just put our clocks forward an hour. I had no idea that in Australia you put you *calendar* forward six days!!!??? :-)

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel Brive (Assallac) to Paris

The pdf timetable for the line from Brive to Limoges shows a number oftrains are cancelled on the 5th and 6th June, so there must be some sort of work planned:

ter-sncf.com/Images/Limousin/Tridion/717-TER…

However this does show that some trains are running.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel Brive (Assallac) to Paris

Hi Irish, that's what happens when making a quick response! I must be wishing away the weeks till we depart! And probably so relieved to have got the tickets booked at such a fabulous price! I am glad I'm not having to deal with the OP problem, sounds very odd. Hope it works out.

7. Re: Train travel Brive (Assallac) to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 05:18