We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which location

Miami
Level Contributor
924 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Which location

We are staying for 2 weeks in an apartment and have been able to find 2 different apartments in our price range and closer to the center.

First one is 3rd on Rue Sainte Croix de la Bretonnerie and the other one is in the 8th on Rue Eluer.

We are looking to be in a lively area, near markets, cafe's, bars, etc.

Which one would you pick and why?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel de la Bretonnerie
Hotel de la Bretonnerie
549 Reviews
Paris, France
Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which location

I think the first one is a better location.

Miami
Level Contributor
924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which location

Hi Suzanne,

Can you tell me why you choose Rue Sainte Croix de la Bretonnerie ?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel de la Bretonnerie
Hotel de la Bretonnerie
549 Reviews
Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which location

Definitely the 3rd arrondissement. It's very quaint, the Marais neighborhood is FULL of great restaurants, bars, shops, it's very close to the city center.

The 8th is more polished and posh, a bit further from the center.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,335 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which location

You say that you want "lively" atmosphere--cafes, bars, markets, etc. That's why your first choice is better. The other area is somewhat sterile in parts, and is not as centrally located as the Bretonnerie location.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which location

Hi ElsiMM,

Firstly, thank you so very much for taking the time to compile a list of hotels with quad rooms (back in 2007). I've referred more people to that list than I can count!

I agree with others that the location in Marais is a better one, very lively, lots of cafés, shops... yet with a neighborhood feel to it. There was a thread on rue Ste-Croix de la Bretonnerie not long ago, here is the link tripadvisor.com/…22108129

The other location is also fine IMO, especially if you want to stay near the Champs and the Arc, but it would be farther from many of the other popular sites.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel de la Bretonnerie
Hotel de la Bretonnerie
549 Reviews
Paris, France
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which location

I would also go for the first. "Markets, cafés and bars" is definitely not what the area close to the Arc de Triomphe is about. The Marais OTOH is filled with the latter two and has a couple of lively street markets as well, and dozens of good little bistros and restaurants. some of the most interesting architecture in Paris and a half dozen or more very worthwhile museums...

Mentioned in this post
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
37,019 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Miami
Level Contributor
924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which location

Thanks for the input!

Inna..I'm glad my quad room list was of use. I'm going to be posting one soon of apartment rental agencies. I've search so many and have a long list.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which location

Elsi, that's great !

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which location

Elsi: I too frequently refer people to you quad room list. It is tremendously helpful! I am looking forward to your apartment rental list! Moms

Perth
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which location

3rd for me to...if only for the fact that there are more local grocers / supermarkets in the area....having them close means you can get what you need for home made meals on the way home, and not need to make a special trip....

T