We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

voyages-scnf.com won't accept my US credit cards

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
voyages-scnf.com won't accept my US credit cards

So can anyone help me? I can't seem to get the French rail Web site to take my credit card. (I have tried VISA, VISA debit and MasterCard).

It just keeps saying my form of payment has been denied. I've used the same VISA to book other tickets ... and to buy rail tickets in France when I'm there -- so I'm not sure of the problem.

Any suggestions?

Incidentally, when I tried to book via RailEurope I got a message saying that they couldnt find the first leg of the journey. (Paris-Bayeux).

Arrggh -- I need to book soon.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: voyages-scnf.com won't accept my US credit cards

Send an email to the SNCF.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: voyages-scnf.com won't accept my US credit cards

Do you get a message?

More and more credit card companies automatically block foreign transactions, particularly those attempted on the web.

Sometimes, you have to phone your credit card issuer, ask for the fraud department, and let them know the purchase you plan to make on the web ahead of time.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
219 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: voyages-scnf.com won't accept my US credit cards

There is a good chance your credit card company will be calling you tomorrow regardless.

I had a very good conversation with the agent re -- what it looked like on their end. He notated the record, then it worked. No problem.

4. Re: voyages-scnf.com won't accept my US credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 November 2015, 20:14
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,530 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: voyages-scnf.com won't accept my US credit cards

Your bank is blocking this as a high risk transaction. Call them, identify yourself and ask them to allow the charge.

I had to do the same thing the last time I purchased tickets on line.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: voyages-scnf.com won't accept my US credit cards

okay, i can try calling the credit card company but I am not sure that's what it is ... this is a business credit card, I travel to Europe regularly, and booking things online on a foreign travel site isn't unusual for me (I've booked eurostar as well as easyjet and practically every other budget airline in Europe on this card at some time or another -- all online.) But i will try ...

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: voyages-scnf.com won't accept my US credit cards

Okay so another question ... I gather you can use an American Express BUT not with the "Borne Libre" service -- you have to pick them up in person at a station?

But the only two options I see for me are "Borne Libre" and "envoie" ... anyone know how to use an Amex?

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: voyages-scnf.com won't accept my US credit cards

I'm sure you have done this but for others reading this it is important that you make certain that everything is completed correctly on the order form and that dates are entered as dd/mm/yyyy and so on. If you are offered insurance be sure to decline it. As Diz says once a purchase has been denied you must allow 24 hours to elapse before using the card again. Do call your CC issuer's fraud department. Banks are getting amazingly skittish. I just had a card blocked because I used it twice to buy gasoline at different stations in my own home area within a half hour. (Happened to be different cars...)

You can select the Borne Libre Service option and pick up your tickets from a ticket window at any SNCF station or boutique using the same credit card used to place the booking. You are not limited to the self-service machines.

If you would prefer to use English to book your travel www.tgv-europe.com selecting Great Britain as your "home" country will give you the identical interface and theexact same trains with the same fares.

If all else fails try calling the English speaking help desk at SNCF: +33.(0)8.92.35.35.39. I have not used it but others have reported good results. You will have to wait until tomorrow morning French time to call of course.

Good luck!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: voyages-scnf.com won't accept my US credit cards

I tried TGV too, but they only gave me an option to have the tickets shipped.

The Borne Libre option won't allow me to use my AMEX.

Shipping option will ... and I am thinking about just having them shipped to my office in France and getting them to send them over. BUT that's a hassle.

If I am reading the french site correctly, you should be able to pay with AMEX and pick the tickets up at a ticket window. But the only option that would allow you to pick up the tickets is Borne Libre and it's not giving an AMEX option.

Anyway ... it's frustrating!

I did complete all the fields by the way!

Barachois, New...
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: voyages-scnf.com won't accept my US credit cards

Good luck.

I have the same problem with my Canadian bank issued VISA card. I tried every single recommendation (many times for each one) that has been offered in this thread - nothing worked. The card is denied, period. The people at the fraud department of my credit card company have even stayed on the phone and monitored as I went through the online purchase process. They tell me that voyages-scnf does not even send an approval request to the credit card company! This means that voyages-scnf is the place where the card is being denied, not my credit card company. If you call the phone number that one poster suggested, you get very nice people who offer suggestions that also don't work. In the end, if you want to buy a ticket, you'll need to go to the American-based agents for scnf and pay almost double the price.

In my opinion, voyages-scnf do not want to accept online orders from north america and have put filters into their website purchasing software to deny credit cards issued by north american sources. sometimes people with north american cards can get through simply because voayages-scnf probably isnt 100% accurate in detecting american-based cards. This is the only explanation for all of the problems being reported. Don't believe the stuff about "fraud department", "be sure to fill out the form accurately", etc. these aren't the problem.