We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking up the Eiffel Tower?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
820 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
walking up the Eiffel Tower?

I don't really want to buy tickets in advance and I REALLY don't want to wait in a line for 2 hours, so I am wondering if the line for a ticket to walk up is usually very long and how many flights or the equivalent is it to walk to the 2nd stage? Then, can I buy a ticket on the 2nd stage to go to the top? Thanks!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
338 reviews
from US$60.78*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,248 reviews
from US$105.76*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
532 reviews
from US$43.76*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
660 reviews
from US$108.19*
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking up the Eiffel Tower?

Early Dec 2008 (not a popular time)we waited 20 minutes in line to walk up the tower. Actually we didn't know it was the walk up line because you couldn't tell the difference, so I guess the walk up line will be as long as the queue for the elevators....so I guess you just take your chances, if you don't want to book tickets on line, which is by far the easiest way IMO. I have seen queues for 10 minutes and also for 2-3 hours at al different times of day and night.. There doesn't seem to be any logic to it.

People say that if you get there in the hour before it opens that cuts down the queue, but that seems self defeating because you still have to wait the time for the tower to open!

Once we were on the stairs the climb was reasonably Ok for a 58 year old and a 35 year old. The steps are wide and comfortable, so you can take your time and you can stop on the landings and people can pass if they want. I felt quite a sense of achievement when I got to the 2nd stage.

Personally if I got to the Eiffel tower with a 2-3 hour queue I would get the metro to Tour Montparnasse and look at the Eiffel tower from there..... MUCH better view, virtually no queue, no steps,, and a solid building underneath!LOL!

Denise

Love from England

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking up the Eiffel Tower?

Hi there,

We walked up the Eiffel Tower in May last year, got there around 7pm, no queues at all and just breezed through. There was a 1-1.5 hr queue to take the lift up (stuff that I say!!) There are around 700 odd steps to climb up (we started counting but lost track eventually) and will probably take around 15-20 mins. on a steady pace but quicker if you opt for the butt and thigh workout it gives!

Cheers, Coco

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking up the Eiffel Tower?

According to most sources there are 347 steps to the first level, 674 steps to the second level and 1710 steps to the top.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking up the Eiffel Tower?

I was there last week on a beautiful day in the early afternoon. We walked right up to the ticket window and then walked right in to start our climb up the steps. We were shocked because there was absolutely no line at all. On the other hand, when we went by some other days there was a line so I guess it's sort of luck of the draw?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
120 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking up the Eiffel Tower?

Hi,

We were there last May. And there were unending coils of queues! We decided to walk it up and glad we did it. Very comfortably I must say, esp with my not so high level of fitness! Absorbed the views at each landing and had a great sense of achievement once we reached the top, rather than just waiting endlessly.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking up the Eiffel Tower?

Three summers ago,, late July I think,, lines insanely long for elevators ( I think they were like two hours).

We took stairs. Line took about 20 minutes.

Walk up was interesting,, you can stop when ever you want to rest,, stairs are wide enough for people to pass you,, and there are small landings every 20 or so steps. I am a bit nervous of heights,, didn't look out much myself,, my 14yr son however loved the views.

When we got to second level son got ticket to top,, I stayed on second level and waited for him. Line for that was 5 minutes.

I have also taken stairs down,, found that much harder ,, you can't help but look at ground so I found it scarier.

7. Re: walking up the Eiffel Tower?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2010, 06:17