We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CDG to USA security procedures

Washington DC
Level Contributor
66 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
CDG to USA security procedures

In January CDG had implemented a lengthy carry-on inspection/pat-down at the gate. This took about 2 hours for our 777 passenger load. Anyone know if this procedure is still in place for all departures to the USA?

California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: CDG to USA security procedures

I flew from Paris (CDG airport) to the U.S on Friday, March 26. The gate inspection consisted of an initial screening of your passport and then a determination if you warranted the pat-down or just move on to boarding the plane. I was lucky and just boarded the plane but I saw many passengers going through the pat down. I don’t think the pat down is directly related to your carry-on luggage. I had carry-on luggage but avoided the pat down. It has more to do with your travels as indicated in your passport and other intangibles (profiling).

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CDG to USA security procedures

These procedures went into effect just after Christmas last year and may have been relaxed a bit but it is for this reason that arriving at the airport early (no later than 3 hours before departure) is more critical than it ever has been.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CDG to USA security procedures

In the past, the fact that we were flying first class meant that we had a faster route through the maze. Is that still true, or should we also plan to be at CDG three hours before departure?

THANKS

richmond
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CDG to USA security procedures

First class on Delta has dedicated security lines into the terminal and at the last security checkpoint before boarding. On our flight at the end of Feb--they started boarding an hour early. EVERYONE was patted down and the hand luggage and carry on bags were inspected--they were very thorough. I was surprised they allowed carry ons. I would give 3 hours.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
66 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CDG to USA security procedures

To RKCalifornia,

What airline were you flying on your recent trip?

California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: CDG to USA security procedures

Air France

Mckinney, TX
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CDG to USA security procedures

I flew on American Airlines on a 767-300 from CDG on Tuesday, May 23rd. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 1040am and it left on time. We arrived at terminal 2A at 0730am for check in and stood in line at the AA check in desk. We were first asked for passport information and several questions about why we were flying. We then were able to check in and get our boarding passes. This process took about 30-45 minutes. We then went through regular airport security. No line whatsoever, about 5-10 minutes. We grabbed something quick to eat and went to our gate. At about 0915am, they started asking everyone to go through the extra security screening. They seemed to screen 5 people in line, then let the 6th one go through without extra screening, then screen the next 5 or 6, then the next one go through without, so about 90% of the passangers went through extra screening. The whole process took about 45 minutes to an hour before almost everyone was done and they starting boarding the plane a little after 10am. The screening consisted of a full pat down, removing your shoes and everything in your pockets, as well as going through all of your carry on items.

I would definitely allow at least 3 hours to check in before your flight departs due to this if you don't want to be stressed out at all! I thought it was very well organized, a surprise considering we were at CDG!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
66 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CDG to USA security procedures

I was on AF in January, sounds like they've scaled back the checks a bit. I left right after the "underwear bomber" scare. Any sign of full body x-ray scans in CDG yet.? I thought they were supposed to be all installed for all USA flights by now.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CDG to USA security procedures

Body scanners are being used on a limited and, for the time being, voluntary basis on US-bound flights. It seems likely that they will become universal and mandatory in the near future as the US authorities seem to be pushing for increasingly stringent security procedures.

It is becoming more difficult to predict what kind of checks will be required for any particular flight. Clearly part of the latest security thinking is to randomize the procedures to make it less easy for potential terrorists to devise ways of escaping detection. When we went through CDG in January we had some time to spare but others travelling on the same Delta flight were given much more extensive screenings than we were and had no time for even a cup of coffee between check-in and final boarding.

One thing that is clear is that the three hour check-in recommendation that has been in place for some time for US-bound flights at major European airports really is now a minimum.

10. Re: CDG to USA security procedures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 07:17