We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Croissants

LA
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Croissants

Has anyone brought home croissants? What are the airline/airport rules on this? I really want to bring some croissants home. I'll be flying back home to LAX.

I will pack my own tupperware to paris if I have to.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Croissants

No. Bad idea. Forget it.

If you buy frozen bake-them-yourself croissants from Picard, it might be worth a try, even though they will obviously defrost on the trip. You would need to pop them in the oven immediately upon arrival.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,272 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Croissants

You are allowed though, securitywise. You just cant bring back fresh fruits, cheeses, meats, vegetables. Ive brought back apricot tarts from the purveyor at the Bastille market to be eaten that night. Croissants and French bread dont have preservatives, that's why they're best eaten the same day.

Best to buy them and eat them on the plane!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Croissants

Best to eat them as soon as you leave the shop!

We went to celebrate friday 13th last year -the anniversary of the original friday 13th march 1314- and instead of fasting we ate croissants from 6am til 6pm and i have to report that it was one of my all time favourite food experiences in Paris or anywhere!

Each bakery had subtle differences which we were able to appreciate far more than just having one or two.

You must try it!

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Croissants

re-read 'Heidi' -- you know the part where she stockpiled the precious 'white rolls' to take to her grandmother who loved them so

Croissants are not things that keep -- you CAN take them back -- but you shouldn't

buy the frozen croissants and pain chocolate at Trader Joes and bake them at home (you let them rise overnight) they may not be absolutely as good as what you get in Paris -- but they will be a lot better than what you bring back from Paris

FYI macarons don't travel well either -- even in hard boxes ours were a shattered slightly stale mess by the time we made it home

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Croissants

They draw damp and get really disgusting within hours. You don't want to do that to a perfectly good croissant!

Learn to make your own -- it's not difficult, although it's laborious work -- then you can have them anytime you like!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,503 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Croissants

You can get excellent frozen croissants (and pains au chocolat, too) at Trader Joe's. Williams Sonoma also carries a good line, but they're on the expensive side.

LA
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Croissants

Thank you for everyone's replies, but I will eat plenty on the plane. I guess macaroons are out of the question as well..

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,503 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Croissants

Off to Trader Joe's again! They have excellent vanilla and chocolate flavors so far. Also terrific lemon tarts, just like the ones in France.

San Diego
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Croissants

gogina - if you drop by San Diego sometime you can get top Paris quality macaroons here . . . www.operapatisserie.com

I'm seriously spoiled! Their croissants don't quite match up however - for some reason we just can't make bread products the same here. Something to do with the flour?

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Croissants

The croissants (and macarons) I brought back were all right and weren't inedible. If you do decide to bring them home check 'yes' on the declaration card about the question if you have food.