We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Mont St Michel, Normandy

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
6 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip to Mont St Michel, Normandy

My husband and I are going to be in Paris for 1 week (Dec 22-Dec 29th). We already feel like there is so much to do and have a lot of the days mapped out, but we may have a day to do a day trip out of the City. I am not necessarily interested in Versailles and I have see pictures of Mont St Michel and have always wanted to go there. It just seems so impressive.

Is there a convenient day trip from Paris that goes there? And would we have time to see both Mont St Michel AND some of the historic areas of Normandy (WWII memorials,etc.)

Any thoughts about how that would work out and if it would be worth it?

Details are appreciated...re: transporation, overall impressions.

Pacific NW
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Mont St Michel, Normandy

About the landing beaches: that is an all day trip. You can take the train up there but its tricky, because the area is very very large. I've done it but I splurged and took a tour. The tour company drove us to all the landing beaches and then to the museum. As I said you can take the train up there on your own and get to the museum, but you need transportation to see the landing beaches themselves.

I don't think I'd try to do both places in the same day. When I went to Normandy I left Paris at 6 am and returned at 10 pm.

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Mont St Michel, Normandy

It's not something you can really do in one day. To drive from the beaches to Mont St. Michel will take about 2 hours or so. Therefore, I recommend choosing.

There are tour companies that take buses to each from central Paris (around the Madeleine). You probably have to choose which you would rather see, or do the beaches one day and the Mont the following day.

If you want to do it yourself, you would be best to take a train up to the area and then rent a car to drive around. The driving there is extremely easy.

Les

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Mont St Michel, Normandy

Normandy was an awe inspiring place for me.

I took a tour with ParisVision to the

landing beaches, the Museum at Arramonches,

the american cemetery at Coleville and

the WWII Memorial Museum in Caen.

You can also get a tour to Mont St. Michel

but that's another day. There is also

a tour for that. It would be important

to get there as early as possible. I

recommend, that after entering, go

straight to the top and work you way downward

to avoid the crowds.

Enjoy

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
579 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Mont St Michel, Normandy

As the others suggest, I would definitely not try to do both in one day.

We took a Paris Vision tour to Mont St. Michel and it was an all day tour. We don't usually take group tours but on this occasion it worked out very well and we enjoyed it.

Mont St. Michel is awe inspiring. As long as you have at least 4 or 5 days in Paris, I'd suggest that anyone take a trip out there. It's incredibly impressive and absolutely worth the whole day.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Mont St Michel, Normandy

Since time will be an issue (especially at this period of the year, when it gets dark at 17h00), I would take a TGV to Rennes (2 hours), and rent a car from there on to go to the Mont. You might even overnight in Rennes, it would give you an early start for the following morning and an opportunity to discover this charming, lively medieval/18th Century city.

Bea
Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Mont St Michel, Normandy

Hello

Griswold,

While both Mont St. Michel and the D Day beaches are outstanding and either trip will leave you with lasting impressions....either one. IMO you can not do them both in one day, even driving. It is at least 4 hours from the Mont to Paris.... at least 2 hours, plus, to the beaches....(one ways) and more than 2 hours between the two.

You might want to just decide on which you would rather see. It can be very cold and windy at the beaches and it is "out of season" so many villages are quite dead. There are many museums with interesting information about the landings in the historical areas. While there are some areas that are particularily interesting, it is spread out, with some of the actual landing equipment, cemeteries where many Americans (and others) are buried....quite a bit to see. I don't think it is something you can just "see" in a couple of hours.

The Mont is outstanding and reeking with European history, very unique even for Europe. While you could see that fairly well in a few hours (or days), it would take a round trip of eight hours just to get there and back.

If you are only going for the one day, it would seem to me that taking a guided tour from some of the companies recomended here would be the most efficient way to see them. Though it maybe the most costly, it could be well worth the money.

Seems to me you cannot go wrong no matter which you choose, both are outstanding adventures.............

Have a great trip.

Memphis
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Mont St Michel, Normandy

Rent a car at the Gare du Nord. Take the x-way out of town. Go to Giverny and walk in the water lily garden. Drive on to Bayeaux and see the tapestry. Stay in the Novotel for two nights. Spend the first full day touring the WWII sites. Spend the second night at the Novotel. Get up the next morning and drive to Mont. St. Michel. Get a room at the Mercure Hotel. Have a good time and a good meal there. Next morning drive back to paris. To have a full experience for the two areas, this is what you need in the way of time. I have done it and it was very worthwhile.

John T. Wilkinson III

Memphis, TN