We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris and beyond with rental car

victoria
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Paris and beyond with rental car

Hi, we're thinking of starting a month trip in Paris (january)...after a few days in Paris on foot, we'll head to Spain, Portugal. Would like to pick up a car outside of the city.

Any suggestions as to a convenient town to proceed from Paris and pick up a car en-route to Spain?

Is it true that it is much cheaper to book a car on line?

Thanks for your input!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris and beyond with rental car

<<Any suggestions as to a convenient town to proceed from Paris>>

Why would you want to go somewhere else to pickup a car? Paris is the most convenient town from which to depart in a rental if that´s where you are.

<<Is it true that it is much cheaper to book a car on line?>>

I am not sure how much checking you have already done but try this company for a quote:

www.autoeurope.com

Quotes in dollars generally exclude road taxes, pickup surcharges, and environmental fees which in total can easily reach $100 in addition to the rental.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris and beyond with rental car

Its very easy to leave central Paris to head out of town. Its driving from A to B within Paris (and parking) thats the real hassle. Usually its just one or two turns, and you are on the Peripherique and then on to the freeway. And getting a car in town means you avoid the extra charges from the airport locations, as some like to get them at Orly or CDG.

You can also get great quotes and service from europebycar.com

Edited: 02 May 2010, 00:57
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris and beyond with rental car

You might want to look into a short term lease rather than a rental since you will be needing a car for more than the minimum period for such a lease. You will get a brand new car pretty much to your specs with full insurance coverage for less than it would cost you to rent a typical rental without complete coverage. If you rent a car in France and drop it off in Portugal you will pay a very hefty repatriation fee, probably several hundred €uros. There will be an added repatriation fee for a leased car but it should be significantly less.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris and beyond with rental car

It would be unwise to pay extra to get out of the city to get a rental car. For one thing, it is super easy to drive out of Paris so you would just be punishing yourself for no reason. And also, you are going to have to deal with urban traffic in many places anyway, so it's best to dive right in instead of letting any anxiety build -- you will see that it was not worth worrying about. (Of course if you are the sort of person who is nervous about driving in cities in your own country, I can't help you!)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris and beyond with rental car

During the recent volcanic ash situation when people were willing to pay the international drop off fee to drive from Paris to Madrid, Milan, Barcelona, Vienna, I saw that Europcar was charging 400€ extra for this. It is probably about the same from the other companies.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris and beyond with rental car

This time we picked up our Renault lease car from Orly. The first time from the Paris office which was just off the Peripherique was also easy to leave town.

victoria
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris and beyond with rental car

thank you

victoria
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris and beyond with rental car

thank you. I should add that we are planning to drive south out of Paris and eventually return to Paris...drop off the car and fly home. I'd say we'd have the car for about 3 1/2 weeks.

Thanks again.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris and beyond with rental car

You might want to look into flying "open jaw," that is flying to Paris but returning from Lisbon or perhaps Madrid if flights from Lisbon are problematic. That should not cost you any more than flying RT to Paris and the possible one way drop-off cost of a leased car would almost certainlybe less than the fuel and toll costs of the very long drive back to Paris from Portugal. I know that 3.5 weeks sounds like a long time but it really isn't when you consider the size of France and Spain, and the incredible wealth of places worth seeing in all three countries you plan to visit. Taking three days out of that time to drive the ~1750 km back to Paris is doable but I think making your itinerary one way rather than circular would allow you to see more and at a more leisurely pace.

France
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris and beyond with rental car

Here i am giving you an suggestion to hire a car from the global car companies to travel towards your destination.

you will have a very comfortable and a budgeted car rental services from them

one of them is Autoeurope

http://www.autoeurope.eu

they offer car rental in Spain, in Italy and in almost every corner of the Whole World. With over 8000 rental locations world wide and make sure to offer you the best possible car rental no matter how exotic your destination is. You may for example hire a rental car in both South Africa, Thailand or Alaska.

the other one is Carrental8france

http://www.carrental8france.com

they offer car rental in whole europe and more than 100 cities with over 17000 destination and provide you more than 30 car brands to deal with them with a very economic deal

another one is nova car hire company

http://www.novacarhire.com/

it is also provide a good car rental services worldwide with affordable rates

i used the carrental8france when i make my trip in to the Europe and i had the great deal with them and having satisfaction with their services and charges.