We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Notre Dame Mass?

iowa
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Notre Dame Mass?

I read that Notre Dame has mass at 8:00 in the summer. Can anyone tell me if this service has a choir?

Thanks for the help,

ddj

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Notre Dame Mass?

To the best of my limited knowledge NO. The ND site isn't clear on that point in any language. There is a mass at Notre Dame with Gregorian chant at 10:00 am on Sundays. I assume that masses that are broadcast, like the one with the archbishop and the vespers, have a choir but I can't find info.

I was an altar boy long ago-- and not in Paris. In most towns only the big Sunday mass around 11 am had a choir.

I never attended Sundays vespers as I was attending a Protestant service at that time, to please the other side of the family..

Tarragona, Spain
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Notre Dame Mass?

The website does however say that 1st mass on Sunday morning is at 8:30 currently. I did not notice any sign of summer alterations being posted there though I didn´t look all that closely.

iowa
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Notre Dame Mass?

Thanks all. I was looking to hear a choir while in Paris.

ddj

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Notre Dame Mass?

We ended up hearing choirs, not at Notre Dame, but somewhere else - which I cannot remember. I think it was probably Saint-Sulpice.

However, we thought we were hearing a choir at Notre Dame Vespers on a weekday, it turns out it was the choir cantors, not the full choir, but it was still amazing to us.

This page may help:

notredamedeparis.fr/Programmation-musicale-d…

I see to choral events there (it lists auditions and events, as I understand it) at Notre Dame.

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Notre Dame Mass?

I did hear the Gregorian chant at Notre Dame for the 10:00am mass on Sunday in September. It was hauntingly beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Notre Dame Mass?

I'll second In_Love_With_Paris and her recommendation for the Gregorian mass. My wife and I attended one a year ago, and it was exactly what ILWP said: hauntingly beautiful. For me, I felt like I'd been transported back 500 years.

7. Re: Notre Dame Mass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 06:19