We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RER to CDG busy in the morning?

winnipeg, canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Topic
RER to CDG busy in the morning?

I have to be at CDG at 8:30am on a thursday for my flight. I will be taking the RER from gare du nord. Will i have a fun time finding a seat? I have a suitcase and a backpack as my luggage.

Just to get it right. I buy a ticket at the window for CDG and then what? Is there a platform for the RER B-3? i know once i get there i look at the little screen things to see if the train stops at de gaulle. am i right?

Paris
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: RER to CDG busy in the morning?

Outwards there shouldn't be any problem of space for your luggage, but to be on the safe side, make sure to take a direct train, ie one that doesn't stop between Gare du Nord and CDG. There is one every 15 mn, usually at 6.45, 7.OO, 7.15, etc. (complete schedule on ratp.fr).

As for the ticket, since you will be invariably rushed and confused at the last minute, I recommend you buy your ticket in advance at any métro station ("Un aller Roissy par Roissy Rail s'il-vous-plaît"), it's a combined ticket that allows for the métro + RER to CDG (but you can use it for RER only all the same). If you arrive by surface at Gare du Nord, go to the newer wing at the right wing side of the station, watch out of for the little plane logo, saying "Roissy Rail". Be aware that the actual turnstiles are one level down from street level (take the escalator and not the elevator, which is often broken, and if not takes for ever to arrive). If you arrive by métro, the plane/Roissy Rail logo is even more obvious.

winnipeg, canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: RER to CDG busy in the morning?

so signs i would look for would be roissy rail and not necessarily "RER B"? good to know.

USA
Level Contributor
28,008 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RER to CDG busy in the morning?

At that hour of the morning---the RER R-3 trains beginning running to CDG at approx 05:00 AM--so there shouldn't be any difficulty. There will be ample signage, maps and ligne diagrams for BOTH ROISSYRAIL AND RER 'B' lignes. EITHER will get you where you need to go. Any RER 'B' train with an '..E xxx..' train designator will take you to CDG (the first CDG stop will be for CDG Terminal #1 (you will need to take a free shutle bus--navette--to the CDG #1 terminal buiilding) and the last--end-of-the-ligne--will be for CDG Terminal #2 (at the SNCF/TGV/RER station connected between CDG #2-E & #2-F on one side and CDG #2-B & #2-C on the other. Train frequency will be one-every 15 mins--travel time will be approx.29 mins. ('ETAL' or 'EMIR' train designators)

At that hour of the morning, I'm not sure whether there are any '..express..' trains running along the 'B-3' ligne to CDG but you can check train schedule details for the 'B' linge to Aeroport CDG, at the RATP web site--

ratp.info/picts/…h_b_jo_cdg.pdf

Bear in mind that once arrived at CDG, you must make your way from the RER platform to the check-in area for your outbound flight, and pass through normal CDG airport security. With this in mind, I would plan on departing Gare du Nord, NO LATER than 06:00 AM.

winnipeg, canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RER to CDG busy in the morning?

6 am?!?! wow.

this is the first time i have ever flown back to canada so security at CDG is all crazy to me.

My flight leaves at 11:30. i thought if i got to CDG around 8 i would be alright.

USA
Level Contributor
28,008 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RER to CDG busy in the morning?

>>My flight leaves at 11:30. i thought if i got to CDG around 8 i would be alright<<<

SORRY...I misinterpreted your 08:30 AM as the time your outbound flight departed. If for an 11:30 AM flight departure, then an 08:00 AM departure should be sufficient for the transfer, airport check-in and security.

I'm not sure that it will do you much good at Gare du Nord when trying to select between 'locals' (34 mins travel time) and 'express' (29 mins travel time) but the '..local..' (with a couple of intermediate stops between Gare du Nord and CDG) train designatiors will be--'EVEN', 'EXIL', 'EPIS'

The '..express..' (non-stop to CDG) will be--'ETAL', 'ENZO', 'ELAN'.

To assist you, PRINT OUT the schedule for the RER 'B' ligne from the RATP's web site and carry it with you. Use it as an aide-memoire to refresh your memory--

ratp.info/picts/…h_b_jo_cdg.pdf

winnipeg, canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RER to CDG busy in the morning?

thanks for all your help!!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RER to CDG busy in the morning?

RER will be mostly busy in the other direction: coming into town.

For the rest, just follow signs.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RER to CDG busy in the morning?

The first direct train from Gare du Nord is at 930 am and is every 15 mins after that. The ones on the hour 1/4 and 1/2 before that make a few more stops but not to many. The easiest was to find the B is too look for the B signs direction CDG. Dont worry about the number afterwards as its not on most of the signs. No need to worry about the train letters either. Just look at the panel above your head on the platform to make sure you are boarding the right one.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RER to CDG busy in the morning?

If you are flying Air Canada, please pay attention to which terminal you are flying out. Back in January, the info signs on the RER train was wrong.

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: RER to CDG busy in the morning?

All of the posts focus on the train.

Another option is a Taxi Parisien.

I have taken one from Paris center to

CDG my last 5 trips and found it

the easiest and most convenient

in terms of luggage, right to the

correct terminal. There is a cost