We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are American dollars accepted?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Are American dollars accepted?

My husband and I are having a debate, and wonder if you can offer some insight:

He feels that we do not need to have Euros to pay the taxi fare from CDG to our hotel; rather, the taxi driver will gladly accept American dollars. Is this accurate?

Paris
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are American dollars accepted?

What do you expect the taxi driver to do with American dollars in France?

The legal currency in France is the euro.

2. Re: Are American dollars accepted?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 November 2015, 13:39
San Diego
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are American dollars accepted?

I'm sure that with enough dollars you could convince one to take you but it will be much less expensive to pay in euros.

Just stop by an ATM at the airport when you get there.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,589 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are American dollars accepted?

Absolutely no problem.

And I'm sure in the same vein of Entente and Cordiality, the taxi drivers in Raleigh, North Carolina gladly accept French Euros from those arriving from France.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are American dollars accepted?

beanalainn,

That was precisely my argument! I am warming up for my victory dance :)

USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are American dollars accepted?

You guys are going to have a good time on your trip , I can tell :)

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are American dollars accepted?

Please keep us informed of your adventures with a daily trip report.

Edited: 18 May 2010, 15:12
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are American dollars accepted?

I would say that's a resounding no. I understand that US currency can be used in other parts of the world, but I suspect since the introduction of the euro, that's no longer true in European countries.

I was a little surprised here in Canada to see signs in stores stating that they no longer accept US dollars. Back when our dollar was so bad against the US, merchants here happily accepted US dollars at a less than favourable exchange rate to the customer. Now that our dollars are pretty close, most merchants find it's not worth it.

As the previous poster mentioned, you can get your euros at an ATM at CDG. The exchange rate is not so bad.

BTW, I just received our bank statement, and for every 100 euros we withdrew a couple of weeks ago, it cost us $137.00 CAD. I didn't think that was too bad, since the exchange rate is around $1.31. Since that's usually the rate for selling, and purchasing is generally higher, I think we fared okay. That amount would have included our bank's fees as well. Better than our trip a couple of years ago when the euro was approximately $1.74.

Sur l'échafaud
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Are American dollars accepted?

You can easily pay with shells and beads, darling!

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,679 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are American dollars accepted?

The price will be Euros, but as long as you don't expect a great exchange rate it should be okay.