We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FIFA fan fest

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
FIFA fan fest

We will be in Paris when Australia is playing Ghana in the group games of the World Cup. The match is at 4pm Paris time. Apparently FIFA are putting up a giant screen on the TRocadero, like the ones they had throughout Germany 4 years ago. We took our then 7 yo son to a giant screen in Germany and despite the wild drinking Aussies, it was a perfectly safe venue for kids. My question, do you think Paris would be similar? Besidese having to take the usual precautions in crowds. The venue can hold over 15000, do you think the Parisians would treat this as a family affair? Particularly for daytime games?

I would rather watch the game there than on the screen of a TV, the atmosphere would be much like being at a game.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,078 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FIFA fan fest

So your son would be 11 now? I definitely would have brought my sons when they were 11. They would not have been a distraction to anyone trying to enjoy the game because they would have behaved appropriately and would have been there as fans, not as kids that I had to bring along so that I could see the game. That is how I would judge age appropriateness in this situation. If your son is as big a soccer enthusiast as most people there and focused on the game, then I don't see how he would be out of place. (Other than, as you mention, needing to take the usual precautions in crowds, and especially when large numbers of fans are drinking. (Don't minimize that--not like it sounds you would.)

Edited: 20 May 2010, 18:18
Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FIFA fan fest

Yes my son is 11 and he will be there as a fan for sure, he had a ball 4 years ago in Germany. The Fan Fest format was better for him than a game because you don;t sit still, you stand plus people move around a bit, it did make it a but difficult for him to see hte screen but he was small enough then to sit on shoulders and no one behind seemed to mind, we did ask. He won't be able to do that this time, but he is a lot taller!

No it's more the behaviour of the crowds. I'm not sure I'd take him to the one in Sydney after dark, it's the area itself as well as the potential behaviour of the crowds. It might also depend on the actual match too. This game is not after dark. I just wondered if French football fans were okay. Whether fans of the opposing team may be overwhelming and unfriendly. I know sometimes fans of an opposing team are just ecstatic to eb there and see their team, other times they can be nasty.

Is there a big Ghanaian community in Paris?

atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FIFA fan fest

I will be there when France plays Mexico on June 16th. How do we find out the times of the games? We were in Interlaken the last World Cup and it was so much fun when Portugal won. Who knew there were so many Portugese people in Interlaken?

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FIFA fan fest

The FIFA site is a bit vague so far, it gives the address of hte site. It also gives the times of hte games in local SA time, but I gather SA is in the same time zone as France so I was planning to turn up before the game was scheduled in SA time. I assume there'll be more PAris-specific informaiton closer to the time though.

Glad to hear others are thinking along the same lines. It should be fun.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,078 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FIFA fan fest

There is a large north African community in Paris, but I don't know specifically about Ghanaian. I see what you're asking--wondering about avid fans rooting against your team! My opinion is that Paris officials would not set up a huge venue on the Trocadero if they anticipated a crowd getting "nasty." But maybe a Paris local will weigh in here.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FIFA fan fest

For that game, the crowd should be rather tame. Probably some screens at the Aus. Embassy as well, one might think.

My first night in Paris was World Cup 2007, South Africa versus England. We did see the water cannon truck that night but I hate to assume it was heading for Trocadero.

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FIFA fan fest

Water CAnon truck! Oh great! I wouldn't even know what one looked like until too late!!

Aus football fans are not the most fanatical in the world, the very few fanatical ones will be in SA I imagine. So I guess you are right and it will be tame. Should still be the best venue I can think of in hte world to view the game. Beats a loungeroom in Australia in our pj's!LOL!

8. Re: FIFA fan fest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2010, 05:18