We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 & 9 year old girls in Paris in Jan HELP??

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
6 & 9 year old girls in Paris in Jan HELP??

My husband and I have basically 4 days in Paris before heading to meet friends in Bordeaux for NY. We are very keen to show our 6 and 9 year old daughters some of the beautiful sites of the city and yet don't want to get into the mode of dragging them through historical sites that don't press their buttons? Of course there is Disney and we have told them we will spend at least a day their? We are from Australia and have never "done" Disney. We were thinking of taking in the Eiffel tower, a barge ride on the Seine, Versailles not sure which tour? an art gallery, not sure which one for them? Heard about Segway rides is this the go?Notre dame?? We have not booked accommodation and need to take Jan weather into account! Suggestions so welcome many thanks AM

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,781 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 & 9 year old girls in Paris in Jan HELP??

Disney in January is a non-starter. Brrrr...

The girls will be too young for segways.

Barge ride, Eiffel tower are good, and my kids certainly enjoyed Notre Dame.

For art museums, just go as long as they stay interested. Children have free admission to art museums in Paris. One smaller museum I recommend as fairly bite sized and truly wonderful is Musee de l'Orangerie, which housings, among other things, a stunning collection of Monet's Water Lilies in three circular rooms

musee-orangerie.fr/homes/home_id24802_u1l2.h…

Beyond that, I would say, just wander. "Being there" instead of ticking the boxes is big part of my game plan when I travel. (As long as it is not too cold!) If your girls enjoy the Orangerie, perhaps try the Musee d'Orsay--a former train station turned art museum.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 & 9 year old girls in Paris in Jan HELP??

Go to amazon.com and do a book search for the name of a guide to Paris with children, and then see if your local library has one of them in their collection. Additionally, look at the library for the Madeline books or videos/dvds. Your 9 yo may feel too grown up for the books, but the illustrations are very Parisian, and might help your girls decide what they would like to visit when they read a guide book. I agree that Disney will be a non-starter unless you have a day with great weather. I never nail down a day by day itinerary. I have targets for each trip. I divide the targets into two lists. The weather dependent ones like Disney, Versailles, a Seine cruise, and la Tour Eiffel, and then all the others. Each morning I check the weather and decide if the day will be fine enough for an outdoor destination. Remaining flexible will serve you well where the weather is concerned. Keep in mind that many of the museums are closed on Mondays which makes a good weather Monday an excellent Disney possibility if that's one of your days in town.

Teach your girls to read a map before you leave home so they can assist with Metro routing and also give them each a phrase book with a good food section so they can translate the bills of fare outside the cafes, etc. There will be a lot of "Ew, gross" and belly laughs when they get to the organ meats, but they'll enjoy helping you to decide on where to dine, and there will be loads of bragging rights when they get back to school.

With children, an apartment is often the best bet for accommodation. Snacks, beverages, and breakfast groceries are much cheaper in the supermarkets and it's nice to have a little more space than a hotel room allows. www.venere.com is a great place to start your accommodation hunt. They list hotels, B&Bs, small inns, and apartments. If you want a serviced apartment, there are a number of aparthotels which allow you to be self catering without having to make beds. Paris is one of the great shopping cities when it comes to taking home wonderful prepared foods. Add a salad and a baguette, and you've got a great meal on a night when you just don't want to go out in the rain again.

Bon voyage.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 & 9 year old girls in Paris in Jan HELP??

We were there this Spring with our 3 kids - they loved it! Here is a link to our trip report

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k35437…

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 & 9 year old girls in Paris in Jan HELP??

Paris Oasis rated number one in the specialty lodging section is a great place to stay with kids. If you stay in the Liette suite, you get an apartment of your own with two separate rooms. The Paleontology museum in the Jardin des Plantes could be fun if they like prehistoric animals.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 & 9 year old girls in Paris in Jan HELP??

Here is a fun way for you and your kids to enjoy Musee d'Orsay and the Louvre. I suggested it recently and quite a few Tripadvisor readers liked it:-

…wordpress.com/2010/…

Edited: 22 May 2010, 20:59
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
823 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 & 9 year old girls in Paris in Jan HELP??

War Museum and Napoleon Thomb at Les Invalides can be interesting.

If you want horror, go to Catacombes.

A 2 km long tunnel underneath with no stops with sceletons.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 & 9 year old girls in Paris in Jan HELP??

Many thanks for your rely Tip re Disney with Brrr attached made sense! Loved the small gallery idea and while we need to get to spots go with the flow times feels good too!. Cheers AM

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 & 9 year old girls in Paris in Jan HELP??

loved the way you helped me centre the kids in this experience I think this approach will go really well for the girls especially the 9 year old. Very appreciative of the thought you put into this response Many Thanks AM

Perth.Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 & 9 year old girls in Paris in Jan HELP??

Hi. We took our girls aged 10 and 12 to Paris last Jan. It was freezing !!!!

However the metro...which the girls navigated...was fantastic, allowing you to pop up close to all major attractions.Just being on the streets was fun for them, the Louvre, Eiffel tower, Notre Dame really impressed them too.

They also loved all the food shops. Disney was great...bought tix at the disney shop on the Champs Elysee...train there was easy to do. Again soooo cold but they were too excited to care!We also had their portraits done in Monmatre, dont pay more than 40euro though. The whole experience was wonderful.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 & 9 year old girls in Paris in Jan HELP??

I don't think it's going to be high on the list of things to do for little girls, but the Catacombs are not horror...interesting or a little unsettling perhaps, depending on your viewpoint...but not horror. It's also going to be very cold and damp in the winter.

What do the girls want to do? At 6 and 9, they're old enough to help narrow things down that *they* want to do.

There's a tea room called Angelina's where you could take them for a cup of what is supposed to be some of the best hot chocolate on the planet. (A tea party with Mom with yummy hot chocolate? I'm all grown up, and that sounds good!)

The last two Januarys have been very harsh, but I'm told this isn't normal. It's possible that you could have some fairly mild weather (for Paris) -- but keep in mind that you aren't used to even a mild winter in Paris, as Aus doesn't ever get that chilly...you can try outdoor things like the Jardin of Luxembourg, but keep a backup plan just in case you're all shivering.

No one has mentioned the Palais de Decouverte (in the Petit Palais, just off the Champs-Elysees) -- it's a science museum for kids....or the Cite des Sciences -- an even bigger science museum for kids on the northern edge of the city. They are now sister museums, and a ticket to one gets you discounted or even free admission to the other. They're terrific museums, and would be a great side trip after the girls are tired of art and architecture. (You're right on in exposing them to it...but they'll want a break now and again.)