We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Walk - Seine River Walk from Eiffel Tower

Msia
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Paris Walk - Seine River Walk from Eiffel Tower

Dear Advisors, I am planning to skip the cruise in Seine River and walk instead. I can walk for 1 hour plus at leisure. Would you please recommend the route with nice view (day or night some time in early August) from Eiffel Tower?

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,845 Reviews
from US$37.50*
US$44.00
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,290 Reviews
from US$109.90*
Paris, France
Level Contributor
26,426 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Paris Walk - Seine River Walk from Eiffel Tower

The right bank expressway will be closed to traffic from mid-July to mid-August for the annual Paris Plages operation. That will give you the best views of Paris, but it is not near the Eiffel Tower.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Paris Walk - Seine River Walk from Eiffel Tower

I am just back from Paris and glad to finally be able to answer a question instead of only asking! My first recommendation would be to do the boat cruise. Not sure how long you are there, but there is so much walking to be done. That is an opportunity to see alot while sitting and to get a feel for how it is all laid out. We walked about 10 hours a day for 4 days. We did the cruise on Vendette Pont Neuf, as recommended by TA folks. It was great. We went at 9:30pm the first day we arrived and saw the Tower light up, lasers and twinkling! Breathtaking! As you cruise down the river people sitting on the banks drinking wine and eating picnic suppers all cheer and wave. So much fun! That all being said, if you really want to walk it, stroll along the left bank. I think you can go the whole way up to Quai Branley. I have seen another recommendation to go up rue Saint Dominique. Either way - enjoy!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,694 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Paris Walk - Seine River Walk from Eiffel Tower

If you can get Google Street view it usually starts at the Eiffel Tower and then you can walk the whole of Paris from your living room excellant way to learn about Paris.

Msia
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Paris Walk - Seine River Walk from Eiffel Tower

Thanks, kerouac2, abwpg & wrappido!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,850 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Paris Walk - Seine River Walk from Eiffel Tower

You'll see the Eiffel Tower from any of the bridges over the river starting with the Pont Neuf and heading west towards the tower. You can also watch from these bridges at night when the tower is lit up (once every hour for 5-10 minutes from sunset to either midnight or 1:00AM). You can also see it well from the Place de la Concorde.

Msia
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Paris Walk - Seine River Walk from Eiffel Tower

Thanks French_Mystique. I'll check those routes.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: Paris Walk - Seine River Walk from Eiffel Tower

I looked up directions on Google Maps, and it shows it is 2.8 miles from the Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame, and it takes 55 minutes by foot. Now the route given is via main streets, so you would not get the views you want by walking along the Seine, but it should not be much farther walking along the quais.

Problem is, this is Paris. I guarantee it will take you longer to make the journey, as you simply MUST stop so often to see the wondrous things that you will encounter; from street musicians to chocolate shop windows.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Paris Walk - Seine River Walk from Eiffel Tower

Walking along the quai / riverside of SEine is ok for a short distance, but you will mostly see the boats passing. You are in a large hole! Walk along the left bank and you get the best feel of the city. Late at night, after 1am most of street lights go out and Paris is a bit scary around the Eiffel tower especially. I do a lot of night photography and was surprised how fast the time goes and suddenly the streets are dark and a long walk is necessary unless you know a taxi stand nearby. You cannot hail a cab in PAris and there is no metro service after midnight!

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
215 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Paris Walk - Seine River Walk from Eiffel Tower

Hi, abwpg!

Could you please tell me what the exact time of the lightning up oh the Eiffel Tower is? I'll be in Paris next october and don't want to miss all the light show and twinkling. Thanks in advance.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
96 reviews
10. Re: Paris Walk - Seine River Walk from Eiffel Tower

Start your walk from the Place de la Concorde and stay on the Right Bank until you get to Pont Alexandre III if you want the best views of the Eiffel Tower or stay on the Left Bank side if you don't care about the Eiffel Tower views.