We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gare Lazare at night safe for women traveling with children?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Gare Lazare at night safe for women traveling with children?

I am arriving at Gare Lazare from Bayeux at 9pm, along with 2 12-yr-old girls....should I take a taxi to our hotel in St. Germain or arrange for a car service? I am concerned about personal security at night with kids and luggage...thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,021 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gare Lazare at night safe for women traveling with children?

Everywhere in central Paris (within the Peripherique ring road) is safe. There will be many people at the station and on the streets at 9 pm, which is not late in Paris. As in any station in Europe, be aware of the possibility of pickpockets.

Just follow the signs for taxis and take a taxi from the taxi rank. Do not accept any offers of a "taxi" from anyone who approaches you in the station: these are rip-offs.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,079 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gare Lazare at night safe for women traveling with children?

First of all, its still light out aty 9 through most of summer, , so there are tons of people still about, second of all, taxi stand outside the station is safe, third of all, area itself is safe( my relatives live only a few blocks away and I have walked by station all the time in evening.

A car service is overkill.

A taxi will be fine.

Do try not to look all stressed out and distracted ( which most of us moms can easily do after being with kids all day and travelling) , pay attention to your purse and tell girls same thing. The station does have many workers and guards about, it always feels safe to me,, but as I said, just be aware of pick pockets... reallly doesn't matter what time of day.

Alabama
Level Contributor
143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gare Lazare at night safe for women traveling with children?

We were in Paris with our daughters, aged 7 and 9 then. We felt perfectly safe, even though we stayed out quite late. We stayed out until 11pm one night, because we were walking past Notre Dame around 9:45 (on our way to the hotel) and we were approached by a street artist. I wanted this as a souvenir and the girls asked to do it, so we did. It's a beautiful sketch which I framed and hung in our home, but it took over an hour. We promised ourselves we would get in earlier the next night. However, we somehow stayed out past midnight at the Eiffel Tower! We never felt uncomfortable at night with our girls, even on the metro at 1am!

I am returning to Paris this September with my daughters, who will be 11 (almost 12) and 14. My husband will be unable to accompany us, and while I will miss him, I am not afraid to be in Paris alone with my girls. :-)

OP, your girls are big enough to help you with the luggage and to stay with you and not get lost. Enjoy Paris! After you get to your hotel, go hang out by the fountain at the Pompidou Center, get a crêpe from a sidewalk vendor, and people watch. My girls loved this in the evenings, and it's on their list of "stuff we want to do again" for this trip.

Edited: 22 June 2010, 07:18
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gare Lazare at night safe for women traveling with children?

With kids and luggage, just head for the taxi queue. This is not the time to fuss with metro/bus tickets/routes...and a car service is just not necessary.

You should secure your valuables appropriately, no matter how you decide to travel.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gare Lazare at night safe for women traveling with children?

The sun hasn't even set at 9pm so it can't really be considered "night".

6. Re: Gare Lazare at night safe for women traveling with children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2010, 06:17