We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CDG to Avenue de la Bourdonnais / Pont de l' Alma

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
CDG to Avenue de la Bourdonnais / Pont de l' Alma

Hello;

A little birdie tells me that the C Metro line will be out of action August through till September. This means I need to find an alternate way to get to my destination and I wondered if anyone on the forum could offer any suggestions.

I was planning on getting the RER from CDG and changing at St Michel to get to Pont de l'Alma as my friends and I are renting an apartment just on the corner where Avenue de la Bourdonnais, Avenue Gustave Eiffel and Rue de Montessuy all meet.

My own research suggests that I should get the RER to Denfert - Rochereau and then change to the 6 metro line to Bir-Hakeim and then walk from there. Is this route viable or is there a better option?

Also how far would the walk be to the apartment from Bir Hakeim? And do I need to be careful as to which RER train I get to make sure it definitely stops at Denfert - Rochereau? Is it a station that some trains zip straight through without stopping? I've only ever changed at the bigger stations where the trains definitely stop so don't want to get caught out! I take it the monitors at the platform at CDG will tell me if it stops at Denfert - Rochereau?

Thanks in advance.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: CDG to Avenue de la Bourdonnais / Pont de l' Alma

FYI the line C is out of commission from 19/7 through 21/8 between Invalides and Austerlitz. Normally for RER they only don't stop and breeze through at stations outside of Paris. I've never seen them not stop while in the city center.

I think you'd be better off walking from Ecole Militaire...Bir Hakeim is a bit of a walk(it's farther than it looks on a map) and you will have to walk through all the tourists near the Eiffel Tower. There will be one more switch that way unfortunately though. You can take RER B to Gare du Nord. Switch to the #4 line direction Porte d'Orleans and then switch again at Strasbourg St. Denis to the #8 direction Balard. That's what I would do personally, just don't have heavy suitcases. :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CDG to Avenue de la Bourdonnais / Pont de l' Alma

Thanks for the response. One additional query - does anyone know if there are a lot of stairs when changing at Gare du Nord and Strasbourg St Denis and then at Ecole Militaire to street level or whether there is a lift and the same again at Denfert Rochereau? I am thinking the absence of lifts or the number of stairs may also have an influence on which route I take given that I will have luggage.

Thanks in advance.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: CDG to Avenue de la Bourdonnais / Pont de l' Alma

Be prepared for a significant number of stairs if you're planning on taking the metro, period. I don't know off hand how many, but I would not depend of having a lift at all. There are not many in general in the Metro.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CDG to Avenue de la Bourdonnais / Pont de l' Alma

Get to Gare du Nord and hop on bus 42 towards Hopital Georges-Pompidou and get down at the Champ de Mars stop. You'll be a few minutes away.

The ride from Gare du Nord should be a mere 20 minutes depending on traffic.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CDG to Avenue de la Bourdonnais / Pont de l' Alma

If you're concerned about hauling bags on the RER/metro and the transfers involved, the better bet would be to take Roissybus to Opera, then Bus 42.

Pont de l'Alma and ave de la Bourdonnais are quite a distance apart, but Bus 42 stops at both.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CDG to Avenue de la Bourdonnais / Pont de l' Alma

I would take the RER to Gare du Nord and pick up the #42 bus there rather than at the Opéra stop. The reason is that the bus originates at Gare du Nord so you will have no problem finding a seat or space for your luggage. By the time it gets to Opéra you will be taking your chances. Note that you will need a ticket for the bus as you cannot transfer between the métro/RER network and the bus network on the same ticket. If you did not buy a pass or a carnet at CDG you can buy the ticket from the driver for €1.80. A carnet costs €12 and a single ticket purchased not on a bus but anywhere else costs €1.70.

The #42 bus will take you on a great sightseeing ride past a lot of famopus landmarks.

All RER trains stop at all the stations within Paris.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CDG to Avenue de la Bourdonnais / Pont de l' Alma

Oooh, good suggestions for my buddy that is meeting me :o) I didn't even think of taking the bus part way!

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CDG to Avenue de la Bourdonnais / Pont de l' Alma

Thanks people. Is it easy to find the bus stop for the number 42 at Gare du Nord?

9. Re: CDG to Avenue de la Bourdonnais / Pont de l' Alma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 06:29