We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vic-le-Comte Castle- Awesome Dinner Experience! Need help

Los Angeles...
10 posts
Save Topic
Vic-le-Comte Castle- Awesome Dinner Experience! Need help

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I were recently given an insider tip about an AWESOME an experience another couple had while in Paris. They actually saw us across the table at a restaurant looking over paris site seeing books , walked over and told us about an amazing experience they had at a castle in Vic-le-Comte. They were in the late 30's, nice, well put together.

They said to skip seeing Versaille and go to this castle. Their memory was a little hazy, but they said they got to walk the grounds at night with candles, and had dinner by candlelight in a castle in Vic-le-Comte or named Villa Vic-le-Comte. Apparently this castle was one of the reasons Versaille was so over the top. They were in a bit of a competition.

This couple was really enthusiastic about their dining experience and thought it was a MUST DO while in Paris.

Does anyone know the name of this place? Or where we could find out more info?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
573 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.50*
1. Re: Vic-le-Comte Castle- Awesome Dinner Experience! Need help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 November 2015, 16:30
Los Angeles...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vic-le-Comte Castle- Awesome Dinner Experience! Need help

YES!!! Thats it!! You are awesome. Here is the actual link to the candle lit dinner. Its supposed to be an amazing dinner and experience!

vaux-le-vicomte.com/en/visite_services_resta…

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vic-le-Comte Castle- Awesome Dinner Experience! Need help

Thank you for asking the question--this looks wonderful!!!

CA
Level Contributor
8,374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vic-le-Comte Castle- Awesome Dinner Experience! Need help

You get there by train or RER to Melun and a taxi. They may have a shuttle from the train station.

One of the most fascinating aspects is the history of the chateau, and Foquet's rise and fall.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vic-le-Comte Castle- Awesome Dinner Experience! Need help

Yes Versaille was based on Vaux-le-Vicomte but sadly without Foquet's moderation! Louis say VLV and decided that he wanted that but even grander.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vic-le-Comte Castle- Awesome Dinner Experience! Need help

Yes, thanks for asking this question. It does look wonderful.

It's unfortunate we won't be able to visit in November when we're there. But it does seem to be open over the Christmas season. I imagine that would be quite something.

I also see from their website that it was the setting in many movies - one of which I remembered as soon as I saw pictures of the chateau. The movie was called Vatel from about 10 years ago, with Gerard Depardieu and the sadly miscast Uma Thurman (in my opinion of course).

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vic-le-Comte Castle- Awesome Dinner Experience! Need help

FYI:

It's closed Wednesdays. We were so sad that we had to miss it. I saw few other tourists had the same problem. We used TimeOut guide and it did not say anything Wednesdays. I supposed it is best to consult the website.

If for some reason the place is closed, you can catch bus (I believe #36) to Fontainebleau. Just a thought.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vic-le-Comte Castle- Awesome Dinner Experience! Need help

Vaux le Vicomte is wonderful but it is very pricey to get there -- once we got to Melun during the week, there was no shuttle (apparently it is available on Saturdays) -- the cab fare was 16 to get there -- and then they had to call us a cab and it was over 20 going back to the train (you pay the cost of the cab getting to you in France, so we were lucky the cab only had 4.50 on the meter when it arrived)

It was worth it -- but it was a pricey trip

we didn't do the candlelight dinner -- I have never done one of these type events where the meal has been any good

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vic-le-Comte Castle- Awesome Dinner Experience! Need help

Every Saturday night in the summer, they light over 6,000 candles, set around the chateau. A picture of the candlelighting is on the front of the program offered at the door. It looks magnificent. I was there during the day and can honestly say it was the most impressive place I've ever seen in my travels. It even has a moat with carp in it!

I'd give my eye teeth to have been there for just one of the fancy balls in the Grand Salon...

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vic-le-Comte Castle- Awesome Dinner Experience! Need help

I was there on one of their candlelight evenings. I have a different perspective. First, the grounds are beautiful and the candles lining the walkways were really beautiful. However, inside the Chateau, the lights were down very low and basically candlelight was used. I found it difficult to see well and kind of spooky--like Haloween (for you Americans). I wanted to see the details of the Chateau and it was wasn't easy.

As far as the food--I don't think they offered candlelight dinners at the time. I did eat in the cafeteria (self-serve) and the food was just awful--among the worst I had in my entire month in Paris. I would be very hesitant to eat there again.

Regarding getting to the Chateau--I was lucky enough to be waiting for a taxi at the same time as another couple so we rode out together and split the cost. That worked well. At the end of the evening, we had to find someone to call a taxi for us. The taxi arrived at an unlit (and unmarked) location outside the Chateau. It was dark out and not easy to navigate.

I liked Fontainbleau and Chantilly better.

Valuable piece of advice: when you purchase your train ticket from Paris to Merlun, be sure to purchase a roundtrip ticket--if you plan to return to Paris in the evening. There is no one selling tickets at night at the Merlun station. The machine that sells tickets doesn't accept USA credit cards. I don't think there is a change machine. There are no open shops/cafes nearby. The police will just shrug their shoulders and tell you to figure it out. I guess you can figure out that all of this happened to me. It took me bursting into tears to finally rouse a policeman to find an attendant near the train tracks to help me out. It all ended well--but I want to help you not have to deal with this--not pleasant!!!

You may think that the story ending is why I didn't much like the Chateau experience (other than the grounds and the candles on the grounds which I loved) but it isn't.