We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best grenouille/frog legs and fois gras in Paris?

CA
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Topic
Best grenouille/frog legs and fois gras in Paris?

Please share - thank you!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best grenouille/frog legs and fois gras in Paris?

Just about nobody eats frogs' legs in Paris except in Chinese restaurants (and they are imported from Hungary).

Any more outdated clichés?

Out here somewhere
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best grenouille/frog legs and fois gras in Paris?

What color beret is most fashionable?

South Carolina
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best grenouille/frog legs and fois gras in Paris?

Your beret should always match your suspenders.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best grenouille/frog legs and fois gras in Paris?

don't forget the striped teeshirt and the garland of garlic bulbs.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best grenouille/frog legs and fois gras in Paris?

Dear Dork( ok you asked for that,, you picked your name,, LOL )

While others may be teasing you abit,, they are meaning to steer you away from some obviously preconcieved notions about what may be considered typical french fare.

Foie gras is popular, but good stuff is expensive so not eaten every day, or at many casual places. I will leave it to those who have better budgets then I do suggest some places to try it.

On the other hand I will suggest you try some other more common dishes.

Moules and frites( mussels and fries),, super common, steak and fries ( I rarely order steak in Paris,, their beef is nothing to write home about unless it is stewed) .

Duck and Lamb ,, popular, as is veal.

Escargots,, they are a favorite of mine,, but I am careful where I order them, they must arrive piping hot, nothing worse then warm,, ugh.

Cheeses, I love all of them, and they are a delightful finish to a light meal( for me I can't eat them after a heavy dinner) or as a light lunch a cheese plate , bread and wine, super yum.

Oysters,, love em,, and they are delightful freshly shucked with a little migonette sauce,, ( my mouth actually watered just typing that, LOL ) .

My personal taste keeps me away from the "restaurants" in some of the busy areas in the Latin Quarter. I have eaten at a few of them when I have travelled with my teenager( can be very cheap and fast service usaully) ,, and they have yet to impress me as being anything other then mediorce to less then mediorce.

Oh Yeah,, French onion soup is often good, but I rarely order it as it is a winter dish,, and so only served in mostly touristy restaurants in summer.

CA
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best grenouille/frog legs and fois gras in Paris?

I am sorry ,I didn't know it will sound as cliche - I used to eat a lot of them in my own country as well as fois gras ( which was not very expensive at that time ) - not having that very often in US - I decided to just ask you guys

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,997 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best grenouille/frog legs and fois gras in Paris?

I believe you can buy foie gras, rillettes, and the like at most street markets, it will probably be cheaper than in a restaurant.

Grab a baguette from a bakery and have a picnic...Oh, and you definitely should get a sampling of cheeses to complete the meal!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best grenouille/frog legs and fois gras in Paris?

The best value-for-money foie gras in Paris (at least in my experience) is at Robert et Louise in the Marais. They have a small and a large portion on the menu (or did last year--I didn't order it when I ate there this March, so I can't say for sure), and the small is bigger than most portions you'd get anywhere else. It's also quite good.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best grenouille/frog legs and fois gras in Paris?

And, in my 20 years of visiting Paris 2-3 times a year, I have never seen frogs' legs on a menu. Sad, really, as I'm fond of them.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best grenouille/frog legs and fois gras in Paris?

Roger La Grenouille on Rue des Grands Augustins in the 6th. Traditional restaurant.

Here are the reviews on TA:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187147-…

Edited: 30 July 2010, 23:41