We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to take my 8-year-old to see Monet?

Carbonear, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to take my 8-year-old to see Monet?

Hello folks, hoping you can help - we are in Paris for almost three full days, and have already plans to see quite a few of the main attractions as it is our daughter's first time! She is interested in seeing some of Monet's work, espeicially the waterlilies, but we won't be able to spend hours museum-hopping. Any suggestions as to where to go? Orsay or Orangerie? Thanks!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
504 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,185 Reviews
from US$108.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
790 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
630 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Level Contributor
17,289 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to take my 8-year-old to see Monet?

The Orangerie is quite small and 'doable' in an hour or so. I went directly in about an hour or two before closing time one day, no line whatsoever. I haven't read of anyone complaining about the extreme lines that formed when it was first opened...

Another less 'huge' collection would be Musee Marmottan, though it would take a little bit more time to travel to it. Nice park just outside of it, too.

- special Monet exhibit until Sept 26

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to take my 8-year-old to see Monet?

Nutty is right - go to the Marmottan. As I recollect, it shows some of Monet's earlier works and gives some insight on how he developed as an artist.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,058 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to take my 8-year-old to see Monet?

If she wants to see the water lilies, there is no other place to consider than the Orangerie. She can sit and look at the water lilies for as long as she would like, in a venue designed by M. Monet himself to showcase the enormous works.

If you have time,the Marmottan is worth a look...but for the lilies, it's the Orangerie.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,566 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to take my 8-year-old to see Monet?

I'd go with the Orangerie -- because of the power of those big paintings -- it will be memorable for an 8 year old.

the Marmottan is my favorite of the options BUT I think for an 8 year old briefly in Paris, the Orangerie will be something she always remembers

Level Contributor
17,574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to take my 8-year-old to see Monet?

If she wants to see the water lilies, go to l'Orangerie. My daughter at 11 liked Musee d'Orsay better, but has no special interest in Monet. When we went to l'Orangerie this past June, we waited at least 45 min in line while people with museum passes went in ahead of us. It is a very small museum, and it seemed to me that we waited as long in line as we spent in the museum, so that's something to consider.

I haven't been to the Marmottan but I have the impression it does not have as long lines.

If you are going to the Musee D'Orsay, check and see what is still there during the renovations as I think a lot of the impressionists' works are travelling. We saw a lot of Monets in Rouen last June, but that was a special exhibit.

San Diego
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to take my 8-year-old to see Monet?

The Orangerie and Musee Marmottan - Marmottan is not on the Paris Museum Pass but is rarely busy - it's only 10 minutes away by metro.

Giverny to see Monet's gardens and home would be great also but would require most of a day.

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to take my 8-year-old to see Monet?

A huge special exhibit of most if not all of Monet's works will be at the Grand Palais Galeries Nationales starting Sept 22 and running through Jan 24. Tickets are required but can be purchased in advance for 13 Euros to ensure admittance. It likely will be quite crowded and tickets may be all gone on the days you plan to visit. You can print the tickets on your home computer from the email you will be sent upon purchasing. Ours are for 9AM on Oct 12th. Don't delay if you plan to be in Paris during the exhibition as his works will likely not be in their usual museums.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to take my 8-year-old to see Monet?

Though Musee de l'Orangerie does have the wall to wall water lily panels, if you can do only one museum for Monet with her, my top choice would be Musee Marmottan. In addition to the paintings by Monet, there's a stunning collection of works given to Monet by his friends, all displayed in a gorgeous mansion. Also in the museum is a fantastic film - views from a helicopter around Paris with magnificent music.

And, very close by is one of the best parks for children - beautiful playground, donkey rides, marionette shows, kids riding every type of wheels imaginable, and people walking their adorable purebred pups.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to take my 8-year-old to see Monet?

What a terrible shame you only have three days,, what a short visit. I would take my daughter to Giverny first to see the gardens that Monet loved, and painted, then to see the paintings,, but with only three days I can see your problem.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,482 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to take my 8-year-old to see Monet?

She is 8 years old and wants to see the waterlilies... There is no discussion. Orangerie.

Monet himself designed the space in the Orangerie to display his favorite of the waterlily paintings. They are huge and incredibly impressive.

Marmotttan is nice if you are older and want to really study his work, but there are few waterlilies and the ones they do have are from the end of his career when his sight was failing him. They are smaller, darker and less impressive on the younger crowd. L'Orangerie.