We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fat Tire Bike Tour 1.5 hour after arriving by train?

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,247 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Fat Tire Bike Tour 1.5 hour after arriving by train?

Hello

I arrive Paris Nord at 13:35, assuming the train arrives on time.

I would like to taxi to Derby Eiffel Hotel, check-in or at least drop my bag. Will I have time to make the 15:00 tour meeting at the Eiffel tower? Would it be quicker and/or easier to ask the taxi to wait and drop me at Eiffel Tower or walk from the hotel?

Normally I would not consider this as I do not like to be hurried. But, I have only 2 days and would like to include the bike tour first thing.

Edit to add.....The Fat Tire website says to arrive 5-10 minutes before tour time.

Edited: 24 August 2010, 22:28
Paris Charms & Secrets Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Blue Fox Travel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bike Tours, Day Trips
Paris by Martin & Friends
Night Tours, Walking Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,373 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fat Tire Bike Tour 1.5 hour after arriving by train?

So you are coming from London,, ( I am assuming) and won't have jet lag issues right?

I think you may have time but it will be chancey for sure. . Once you arrive at Gare Du Nord you just walk right off, no customs or anything.. so its only the wait for a taxi that may hold you up( and there can be quite a wait) .. It will certainly be close. Why not take the Night Bike Tour,, its a hoot and you will definately not miss that one.

I am not sure exactly where hotel is,, can you take metro, its often much faster.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,247 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fat Tire Bike Tour 1.5 hour after arriving by train?

I will be arriving from Amsterdam. No jet lag issues.

The Derby Eiffel Hotel is at 5 avenue Duquesne. I can arrange for a taxi on the Thalys before arriving in Paris. Are you familiar with this service? There is a fee for it. This may speed things along.

I hadn't considered the night tour. I will look at their website some more for that information.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fat Tire Bike Tour 1.5 hour after arriving by train?

If you have two full days, why don't you take the bike tour the second day and devote the first day and the first half of the second day to other activities?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
296 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fat Tire Bike Tour 1.5 hour after arriving by train?

I have done Paris bike tours both during the day and at night. By far and away I think the Fat Tire Bike Tour at night is amazing! Paris is so beautiful lit up at night. It is so fun riding around the courtyard of the Louvre when all the tourists are gone for the day and seeing the beautiful buildings all in lights.

My suggestion for only two days would be to go to the Hotel to check in. Then hit the Rodin or Orsay. Afterwards grab a bite to eat and head over to meet the tour for the evening. It includes a boat ride as well. I think the night one leaves at 7 but double check that. Lasts til about 11.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
296 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fat Tire Bike Tour 1.5 hour after arriving by train?

I forgot to mention - they also have wine for you while you are on the boat portion.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fat Tire Bike Tour 1.5 hour after arriving by train?

You could go directly from Hotel Derby Eiffel to the Fat Tire Office (24, rue Edgar Faure 75015).

Once everyone gathers at the meeting point by the Tour Eiffel (and often they wait a few minutes for people who phone that they are on their way), there's a bit of a walk to the office. Then, it does take a while for everyone's payment to be processed and for bikes and helmuts to be issued before heading out.

We've taken the Segway Tour many times, and they have always been quite flexible for those on tight schedules or running late. (But, no guarantees...)

Since neither reservations nor prepayment are required, you have nothing to lose by trying to get there in time for the tour.

Be advised, however, that it would be a good idea to be unfailingly polite when you approach the front desk at the hotel. They have their ways of doing things and do not like to be rushed. You might say something (after the usual pleasantries and introducing yourself): "Do you think I can get to...by...?", rather than annoucing that you have to be some place.

You could have the front desk phone for a taxi for you, which may have the flag dropped from the point where the driver receives the call. Or, you could have them direct you to the nearest taxi stand, which is within steps on a street where there are always plenty of taxis.

You could also call the Fat Tire office (or e-mail them) and ask about storing your bag (if reasonable) in their office, enabling you to go directly from Gare du Nord to their office. There's limited space, and they do have room for backpacks, etc., which people leave while on the tour. But, I'm sure they don't encourage large amounts of luggage.

We love the night Segway tour as you leave in the daylight, enjoy dusk/twilight, when the light in Paris is the most beautiful, and return after dark when the lights have been turned on all over. (And, it is nicer at night where there are fewer people all over and much less traffic.)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fat Tire Bike Tour 1.5 hour after arriving by train?

Another thought - if you can't leave bag at the FT office, perhaps you could leave it at the train station for the tour, then pick it up and go to your hotel.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fat Tire Bike Tour 1.5 hour after arriving by train?

You could store your bag(s) at Gare du Nord and pick them up later. But, that would take some time.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,247 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fat Tire Bike Tour 1.5 hour after arriving by train?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have decided to not worry alot about this. Thanks to the fine folks who recommend the night tour. I will do the 15:00 tour if I make it. If not I will check-in and do the 19:00 night tour.

I have dropped the taxi idea for a more enjoyable and less expensive ride on the bus. I think the #42 goes very near the Fat Tire office, Eiffel Tower, and my hotel. Would this be the best bus to take from Gare du Nord?

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fat Tire Bike Tour 1.5 hour after arriving by train?

The 42 bus stops at the northwestern end of rue Edgar Faure. The name of the stop is Desaix. Riding from Gard du Nord, there are two stops, one on either side of Champs de Mars, then Desaix. Just follow rue Edgar Faure to where it turns to the right and you'll be at the Fat Tire office. According to the RAPT website, it's a 47 minute ride, so you might make it just fine.

Going from the Fat Tire Office to Hotel Derby Eiffel, you'd probably find it most convenient to walk to ave de Suffren for Bus 82.