We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way ticket to Paris???

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
114 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
One way ticket to Paris???

Hi all,

I've been told by a travel agent that I cannot buy a one way tix to fly to Paris, France if I don't own a French Passport / French citizen. And I'm not.

My plan is to pre-booked and buy all the tix from different airlines before my departure in San Francisco. But mostly I need the help to get a cheap one- way tix from a travel agent is the first segment SF to Paris. (the price on the airline website is way too expansive, USD 2500 something just for 1 one-way economy tix)

Here's the trip:

1) a one way tix from SF, USA to Paris, France on Air France or Lufthansa. Stay in Pairs for 2 weeks here. then

2) a one way tix that I can buy directly on Singpore Airline Depart from PAris to Bangkok. Stay for 2 weeks here, then

3) I use my mileages from United airline to get a free one way tix from Bangkok to San Francisco (of course I will get this done before my departure in SF)

Is it ok to do this by flying different airlines with one way ticket? I have heard that immigration offocers or when u check in, the airline people may deline your boardng because you have a one way ticket and not the citizen of the arrival countries. But as you can see, I can prove and show my onward tix and also my return tix back to SF. Will this be ok? Or should I buy the round trip tix and abandoned the return flight, will this be ok to do so? (the one way tix is almost the same price as the round trip tix sometimes...do I have the right to use only one way on a round trip tix or I will be fined on my credit card by the airlines if I don't show up at the return flight???)

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way ticket to Paris???

You can fly only 1 leg of a flight without problem, often I see in Europe they charge huge prices for one way and almost the same or less for round trip tickets. That being said if you have your ticket leaving the country in hand there should not be a problem. Beyond that I don't think it is a problem anyway as how would they know if you have a one way ticket or not anyway, it doesn't say on the ticket. They are all electronic now these days. Plus you could easily be taking a train to another country and it would be irrelevant.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,565 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One way ticket to Paris???

no airline will let you board their plane with a 1-way ticket and without proof of permanent residence status in EU. , unless you have proof of onward travel. If you are denied entry at the destination because of this, the airline must send you back at their expenses, plus possible fine of thousands of euros to the airline.

For Thailand, 1-way ticket for short stay such as yours is explicitly allowed by Thai immigration.

Every ticket, electronics or otherwise, indicates the whole itinerary and you have to be visually impaired to not be able to see whether it's one way/return/round-the-world.

California
Level Contributor
112 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One way ticket to Paris???

From what I understand, you can use just the first portion of a round-trip ticket and ditch the return trip if:

1. You don't do this often enough for your frequent flyer program to catch on that you are doing this (in which case they may delete miles or cancel you), and

2. You don't book through a travel agent, who can be financially penalized for doing this.

If those things work out for you, I don't see a problem with buying your own round-trip tickets if the prices are nearly the same as a one-way ticket.

Have you tried booking a one-way ticket to Paris on your own (without an agent)?

If I were you, I'd send this question to airfarewatchdog.com - they have a Q&A forum for this sort of thing, and I think their advice would be more reliable: askgeorge@airfarewatchdog.com

Texas
Level Contributor
673 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One way ticket to Paris???

I believe you are incorrect about the one way ticket to EU countries as I know a number of students, including my own child, have done so with no trouble. I purchased her ticket online and they simply asked her where you show your passport, she said. I have just questioned her closely and they never asked her to prove her student status, but she was wearing a college sweatshirt and was traveling with a group of students, so perhaps someone else was asked and pointed out her fellow students.

Price-wise, it cost practically what a round trip ticket cost to go over, but she got a very cheap fair back. This was evidently related to the timing more than anything as extremely cheap deals were to be had during that period last spring.

5. Re: One way ticket to Paris???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 07:50