We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using a Blackberry in Paris

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Using a Blackberry in Paris

My husband has a company issued AT&T Blackberry with international capabilities that we will be bringing to Paris next week. My question is, how do we make a call to the US from Paris using the Blackberry? Are there certain international or country codes that we need to dial first? Thank you for your help!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using a Blackberry in Paris

First, you have to ensure that the phone is unlocked. You can call AT&T for an unlock code, but, because the phone is company issued, they will probably need to contact his company for authorization to release the code and unlock the phone.

To use the phone, if it's locked, in Paris, international calling service with AT&T would have to be established. Again, this would probably require company authorization. AT&T rates are not outrageous, but you can do much better.

Or, once the phone is unlocked, you can insert any SIM. It's probably too late to acquire one before leaving home. But, there are any number of local SIMs you can purchase once in Paris.

If you plan to call home frequently and talk for a while, the better bet is a phone card. Using a mobile phone in Paris to call home can be very expensive.

Or, local SIMs usually have free incoming calls. Call home and have them call you right back. (You'd want to have them check their international rates, so they know the charges.)

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using a Blackberry in Paris

A Blackberry is usually set to remember its 'home' country and automatically add the appropriate country code. If that doesn't work add +1 to the US number.

For French numbers add +33 and omit the first 0

NJ
Level Contributor
157 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using a Blackberry in Paris

I recently used my Blackberry from France without any problems (was also work-issued with international coverage). If the U.S. number you are dialing is in the Blackberry contacts folder, you shouldn't have to dial any access code; just click on the number and it should go through. Otherwise, you need to dial 00+1+area code+number

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Using a Blackberry in Paris

Thank you very much! We are leaving today and are so excited!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using a Blackberry in Paris

In addition to ensuring that he will actually have service for those "international capabilities", he might want to ascertain the per minute charges and whether the company will mind him using the phone for personal calls or even phoning work when there are much more economical means.

My husband has a company issued Blackberry. He did have to get the phone unlocked (with their authorization). He'll be using his own SIM, however, since it is a company phone.

6. Re: Using a Blackberry in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2011, 05:19