We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report. One day in Paris. 11th August 2010.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,870 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report. One day in Paris. 11th August 2010.

My adult son and I stayed in Disneyland for 4 nts/ 5 days in August, and had a lovely day in Paris on the Wednesday. This is my TR of that day, in case anyone is interested.

Day 3. Day in Paris.

Chilly and raining this morning. We walked to MLV Chessy station and bought Mobilis zone 1-5 tickets, which cover RER, Metro and bus, and caught the 8am RER line A train to Paris.

I had bought tickets online for the Eiffel Tower summit for 10am, so we wanted to be there in good time. This is the link to buy Eiffel Tower tickets in advance. Make sure you buy the correct ticket for 2nd floor or summit, as I nearly bought the wrong one!

tour-eiffel.fr/teiffel/…

The journey into Paris takes about 40 mins from Disneyland to Chatelet Les Halles, and a bit longer to CDG Etoile.

We got off the train at CDG Etoile station, then caught line 6 Metro to Bir Hakeim. It is only a short walk to the Tower from there, so we arrived about 9.20am. We had time to sit and drink some water, and people-watch for a while. The queues at the Tower ticket booths looked quite long already, and there were a lot of people arriving.

There were quite a few souvenir sellers around, but they did not annoy or persist when we said ' non, merci'.

My son then decided that he would like a model of the Eiffel Tower, so he bought a medium sized one for €3.

The weather in Paris was much better - not raining, but a bit cloudy. At about 09.50 we went to the ' pre-bought tickets ' entrance, and joined the small queue of people with 10am tickets.

At 10am we were allowed through security and to the lift.

We caught the lift to the second floor without waiting long, then had another short queue for the second lift to the summit.

The views were good, but some low cloud and rather hazy.

We had a drink in the cafe there before catching the lift back down to the second level. The views were better here, as much lower, and we could get clearer photos and video.

Cafe prices - Hot chocolate € 3, coffee € 2.50, 50cl Evian bottle water € 3, filled roll € 6.

By now, level 2 was very busy, so we decided to walk down to the 1st level.

This was interesting as you are walking amongst the structure, so get a better idea of the construction of it. On the 1st floor there is a restaurant, a cafe, a gift shop, and a fake grass area with deckchairs, and water fountains. We bought a few souvenirs, and my son noticed that the same Eiffel Tower model that he had bought for € 3, was € 6 in the shop. We then walked down to the ground.

We spent 2 hrs on the Eiffel Tower altogether, so it was now 12.00.

We crossed the river towards Trocadero, where you get great views of the Tower. This is where we watched the 10pm ' twinkle' last year, when the lights twinkle for 10 mins on the hour after dusk.

As DS is in the Navy, he was interested in seeing the French Maritime Museum at Trocadero, so we spent about an hour in there. He got in free as he is under 25 ( ID required to prove age). I bought a Museum Pass for myself, as I thought this may help avoid queues later.

We then caught the Metro to Les Invalides ( Army Museum) to see Napoleon's Tomb, and the 1st and 2nd World War rooms. ( again DS is very interested in this). Although I could walk in using my Museum Pass, DS had to queue to get a ticket even though he had free entrance, but fortunately the queue was not very long.

The weather was improving all the time, and when we came out around 3.30pm it was now hot and sunny.

A section of the RER line C was closed, and a bus was waiting when we got back to the Metro station, taking people to the closed sections. We wanted to go to the Conciergerie, which is near Notre Dame, so caught the bus for about 3 stops to St Michel Notre Dame. I noticed Les Deux Magots out of the bus window on the way. ( famous cafe).

It was not far to walk to the Conciergerie, and we bought some Berthillon ice cream cones on the way. Delicious ice cream!

We reached the Conciergerie at 4pm, and there was not a long queue. You can buy a joint ticket for Sainte Chappelle, but there is some restoration work being done to the stained glass windows, and we were too late to do both anyway. We will do that another time.

The Conciergerie was originally a palace, then a prison where people were held before going to the guillotine during the French Revolution. There are mock ups of how the cells looked, including where Marie Antoinette was held, and a guillotine blade. We were there for about an hour.

We stopped at a nearby brasserie afterwards to have a drink, but wanted to find somewhere quieter to eat, not by a busy road.

We walked to Notre Dame ( last year we went up the Towers) and the bells were ringing which was nice. We walked around the back, through the small gardens there, then crossed the bridge to Isle St Louis. We saw a nice looking cafe/ restaurant just across the bridge called Le Flore de L'Isle, which had tables under a canopy as well as inside, so decided to eat here. We had a table under the canopy, and could listen to a man playing an accordion under the bridge which was very pleasant - he was quite good. I play the accordion myself, so I can be rather critical! When the accordionist left, a saxaphone player came along instead, who was also good.

The waiter brought us bread and olives while we waited for our meal. We both ordered omelette, salad and chips, which although not very French, was well presented and delicious. There were some lovely meals on the menu to choose from, but we only wanted something fairly light. Our meals were € 15 each, plus € 7 for a large bottle of water and € 5.90 for a coffee. The waiter was friendly and attentive, and I would recommend this restaurant.

We decided to head back to Disneyland afterwards, and our waiter pointed the way to Chatelet station, which was not far to walk from there. We caught the RER line A4 train to MLVC at 8pm, arriving back in Disneyland at 8.45pm. Everyone was wearing waterproof capes, and we could see it was very wet. It had been raining in Disneyland all day!

We certainly chose the right day to go into Paris, and had another very enjoyable day, as we did last year.

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report. One day in Paris. 11th August 2010.

What a nice day in Paris.

We also had prebooked Eiffel Tower tickets for August 11--in time for sunset. The day started grey and damp, all I could think was--oh no--and we have tickets for today!! The forecast was for rain. It was wonderful that the weather cleared and it was a nice day.

We probably passed you over by Notre Dame that day, we were there at the same time.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report. One day in Paris. 11th August 2010.

Lovely report! Amazing, but here's another mum and son up the Eiffel Tower on the 11th August (my son's birthday). Our timed tickets were for 6 p.m. We actually thought it was going to pour down while we were waiting for the summit, but the dark cloud passed us by and we got really great views, too.

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,218 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report. One day in Paris. 11th August 2010.

Enjoyed reading your trip report , Figgy; glad to hear you and your son had such a pleasant day in Paris.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,061 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report. One day in Paris. 11th August 2010.

Sounds like a nice trip. Interesting that your son had to get a ticket for the Musee de l'Armee, as I'm almost positive my daughter just walked in with me. Maybe it's different for under 18 and under 26? She did have to get tickets a couple of places (Musee D'Orsay stands out) but we did not have to wait in the line for it, they just put us behind the people who were currently at the ticket desk.

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report. One day in Paris. 11th August 2010.

Great report. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It sounds like the two of you had a wonderful time doing what appealed to you.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report. One day in Paris. 11th August 2010.

Lovely report,, and you did see quite a bit. I agree taking the stairs at the ET gives an interesting perspective .

I would disagreee that your supper was not very french,, its sounds exactly like what my family would serve for dinner if we had a our main meal at lunch! Good choices.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,870 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report. One day in Paris. 11th August 2010.

Thank you all for your comments. Last year we began our day at Notre Dame at 09.30, and climbed the Towers. We caught the Batobus to Hotel De Ville for lunch, then went on to the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa, Venus De Milo and the Egyptian rooms. We spent about 3 hrs in there, which was nice and cool on a very hot day. Then we walked through the Jardin De Tuileries, over Place De La Concorde, up the Champs Elysees, to the Arc De Triomphe. After climbing to the top, we then went on to Trocadero to watch the lights come on the Eiffel Tower as it got dark, then the 10pm twinkle. We caught the midnight train back to Disneyland.

I am trying to plan each trip carefully, so we see as much as possible in one day, but without dashing around too much, so we still have time to enjoy the everyday charm and atmosphere of Paris.

Thanks for the help and tips I have received on this forum.

joan - I am glad that our meal was not too ' English!' It was delicious!

chris, it was my son's birthday on the 7th August, just before our trip!

Maybe next time I will have to book the Eiffel Tower for sunset for another experience.

8. Re: Trip Report. One day in Paris. 11th August 2010.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2011, 07:29