We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Money

Leeds
12 posts
Save Topic
Spending Money

Hi, Just wanted your advice on how much money to take to Paris. We are going for 3 and a half days in a few weeks. We will spend most of our time just wandering around the main touristy attractions. I was thinking around £200, but I'm unsure how much to expect to pay in restauraunts in the centre. Any advice would be really helpful, Thanks!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
City Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,183 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending Money

Take a debit card and get money out of ATMs as you need it. The exchange rate is better than you will get by changing cash.

2. Re: Spending Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 November 2015, 18:07
waterlooville uk
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending Money

I allow 75 euros per person per day. (I assume hotel is prepaid) This is roughly

Lunch 11

Dinner 35 (to include a drink or two)

Transport 7 (daily mobilis pass is less than 7)

Drinks 12

Attractions 10

Some days we spend more, and others a bit less. This is the absolute minimum I can get by on. My lunch budget allows for a baguette, a pastry and a coffee. Dinner - a good 3 course meal with house wine, in a non touristy area.

Have fun

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending Money

The exchange rate may be slightly better when using the ATM, but any advantage will be outweighed by the high service charges levied at each end -- ATM and customer's home bank.

We live in a large Canadian city with a number of currency exchange offices, with daily rates published online. With careful monitoring, we are able to buy foreign currency when the rates are most favorable. Of course, online hotel reservations and other large purchases are made using our credit cards, but even then, if we time it right, we may save a few dollars.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending Money

I have never had a French ATM charge me for using it, just my home bank

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,254 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending Money

And, not all banks charge an international ATM fee. Mine does not. So, I will be using ATMs for euro cash.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending Money

I read the OP's question as one inquiring about a daily budget as opposed to ATM/exchange logistics. I tend to agree with and would probably raise kebabs' estimate of 75 Euro/pp/day to 100 Euro/pp/day. Paris is an expensive pleasure.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending Money

How much do you WANT to spend?

You can get a lovely sandwich on a fresh baguette at nearly any boulangerie for 7E or less.

There are plenty of restaurants that have a set formule for 20E per person...it won't be fancy, but it will be decent.

You can also spend 130 Euros on brunch at the Ritz and 200e per person at any of a number of restos around the city.

And there's something all along the range between, too.

European ATMs don't charge a fee...fees are charged only by YOUR bank...and most of the time, the fees charged are still less than going to a currency exchange point.

9. Re: Spending Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2011, 05:17