We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas wanted for Journees du Patrimoine

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
ideas wanted for Journees du Patrimoine

Would someone please suggest a couple of potential WOWs that are not normally open to the public? I have the "programme" but it is extensive and most of the listings are sites that are open all year. Anthing of architectural or historical interest, sculpture, interior furnishings or anything out-of-the-ordinary.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas wanted for Journees du Patrimoine

Hotel de Ville - Incredible

Palais du Luxembourg - Incredible

Assemblée Nationale - Incredible

Palais ce l'Elysée - HOURS of waiting in line. Waste of time.

Israel
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas wanted for Journees du Patrimoine

You can read about Gitte's visit to the Palais du Luxembourg in the following delightful report from last September:

myparisadventures.dk/15475/…201

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas wanted for Journees du Patrimoine

The Gaumont cinema museum will be open in Neuilly (in the basement of the Gaumont corporate headquarters).

One one of the most popular visits is the France Télévisions building at the corner of the Pont de Garigliano in the 15th. Not exactly historical, though.

I had full access to the Elysée at the bicentennial garden party in 1989, and there is not much worth seeing there, even though it is symbolically interesting.

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ideas wanted for Journees du Patrimoine

I saw the Palais de l'Elysee last September on Les Journees du Patrimoine and I loved it. Yes, the line was long but I was glad I waited. I just cleared my day and enjoyed the process. I was in line by 8am. Afterwards I went to l'Assemblee National. I only waited in line an hour (this was Sunday) and l'Assemblee is even more beautiful than Le Palais de l'Elysee. Across the street from l'Assemblee is 81 Avenue de l'University where Julia Childs lived. You can't go in but it was still fun to look at the building and imagine her living there.

I have been on a tour inside the Hotel de Ville and it is absolutely gorgeous. I recommend seeing it.

Edited: 18 September 2010, 01:38
Midwest USA
Level Contributor
218 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ideas wanted for Journees du Patrimoine

If you are near the isle Saint-Louis, you might visit the Hotel de Lauzun. It won't be very crowded during Journees du Patrimoine --- I visited this magnificent edifice acouple of years ago. The tours are in groups of 10-12 or so and in French and last about a half-hour. Here's a link to give you an idea of the history of the structure:

ssa.paris.online.fr/pages/4thLauzun.htm

RM

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ideas wanted for Journees du Patrimoine

Thank you all for the great recommendations. This is what I did:

Assemblee Nationale, worth the hour and a quarter standing in line to go through security. I don't know why it was so slow. Once in, there was almost no crowding, though lots and lots of people, of course. They gave a handout in French, or English, or a couple of other languages - didn't pay attention, that sort of explained the composition and workings of this legislative body. After I read it (remember I had over an hour), I understood very little. It didn't seem to impinge on my enjoyment of the building though.

Then a 10 minute walk to the Russian Embassy for a look at another beautiful building and a special exhibit with some gorgeously stunning jewelry - did I mention I really like small things.

I asked for directions and got bad ones, wanted to go to the Palais du Luxembourg, which was quite close, but they were closing at 5.30 and the afternoon was wasting away, but the Hotel de Ville was open until 6.30 so I headed there. The line was dauntingly long, but moved very quickly and in about 20 minutes I was inside an awesome building.

I got back to my hotel, completely wiped out - just enough energy to buy some bread and cheese and cider (my favorite drink) at the supermarche. As I was waiting for the elevator another hotel guest came up the stairs - lo and behold it was an old friend from Tel Aviv that I hadn't seen in years and years. So we sat in the lobby (the operative word being SAT) and chatted for well over an hour.

After a good night's sleep, I was up and out and raring to go at only 9.30. I headed straight for the Palais du Luxembourg, the line was not so long at 10 am (they opened at 9.30) and moved quickly through security. Then we slowed almost to a full stop as we oozed through the first few rooms of the tour. There were one or two more bottlenecks, but on the whole, you could go at whatever pace suited you, with lots of places to sit and soak it in (and rest weary feet), and lots of toilets too. It's hard to compare, but I think this was my favorite of all. After the Palais I took a short stroll through the Jardins and a long sit too. It was fun watching the kids and just being lazy on a warm sunny Sunday afternoon in Paris.

I thought about the Hotel de Lauzan, but it wasn't listed in the schedule and I was pretty tired anyway. I did pop in at the Odeon for a few minutes, as it was on the way back to the metro. Then back to my hotel for a short collapse. And then more stuff - will include in a separate trip report.

Again thank you all. It has been an amazing weekend, thanks to you - and especially to Shoesy for telling me about the journees du patrimoine way back in June. And thanks, Shoesy for the link to Gitte's blog. It was a fun read.

Now I have to start packing . . . or go to sleep and leave it for the morning . . .one more full day in my favorite city, and then a midnight flight home.

Thank you all for the help

Israel
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ideas wanted for Journees du Patrimoine

You're very welcome, Pitzikat. I'm glad one of my friends got to experience that special bonus for being in Paris at this time of the year.

P.S. ".......some gorgeously stunning jewelry" - I definitely like the sound of that.

8. Re: ideas wanted for Journees du Patrimoine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 04:17