We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Paris with Dad

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
52 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Paris with Dad

Traveling with Dad to Normandy, and we'll have an entire day in Paris before our return home. We leave this week and I've not spent any time planning that last day.

Any "go to" suggestions?

Dad's knees will probably be shot by the end of the trip, so walking tours aren't a real option. Given the limited time, thinking it'll have to be something topical v. one intensive experience.

The help is appreciated!

Wego Walking Tours
Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Paris by Martin & Friends
Walking Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Sight Seeker's Delight Unique Walking Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Paris with Dad

In your situation, I would do something like this:

- Visit to Notre Dame and a short walk around Ile de la Cite (don't worry, it's a tiny island so it' not at all an intensive walk)

- Lunch

- Elevator to the top of Eiffel Tower

- Seine River Cruise (this is really nice in the evening)

But, some more information would help - what's your budget? Do you and your dad enjoy arts? history? archictecture?...Where are you staying? Entire day - does that include overnight or how many hours will you have?

You can also consider riding the Hop on Hop off bus to have a view of the attractions without exerting any effort...

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
52 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Paris with Dad

Your suggestions so far are already helping me to focus.

The plan at this point is to arrive late to Paris on a Tuesday evening.

We'll have all day on Wednesday, and depart from CDG on Thursday early afternoon.

Besides the interest in military history, he would likely enjoy the few things you suggested. Most notably, the Eiffel Tower and cruise. He enjoys transportation/logistics, and civil engineering type of feats. (yes, he likes to spend time in airports, too) :-)

Initially, he mentioned the Louvre, but I think that lost some luster with the prospect of crowds, wait, and sheer overwhelming size.

I've not booked our hotel yet, and don't have a specific budget for activities.

I do expect to drop some cash on tickets/fees, but probably not more then $100 +/-.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Paris with Dad

Well, in that case, here is a different plan:

- Morning: visit the Louvre. It won't be too crowded first thing in the morning. Spend 2 hrs max inside, then take a rest at the Tuileries Gardens behind the palace.

- Lunch (there are some nice cafes at Place du Trocadero with an unbelievable view of the Eiffel Tower)

- Go up the Eiffel Tower (this can take a while, you can purchase tickets online in advance to avoid the long line)

- Not far from the Eiffel Tower is the Invalides, a complex of French military history museums and the burial place of Napoleon - sounds like your dad would enjoy this :)

- End the day with an evening Seine river cruise - maybe even do a dinner cruise to maximize your time.

Note: The Louvre is open late on Wednesdays, so you could just see how you feel about the Louvre as you do your other activities. It is a magnificent palace, and the Tuileries gardens are very nice.

You can use the bus to get around from site to site - the metro involves stairs, which can be tiring (go to www.ratp.fr for a map of both the metro and the bus)

Maybe you will have energy and time for a quick visit to the Notre Dame on Thursday morning :) Nearby is the Pont Neuf bridge, the oldest bridge in Paris built by Henry VIII - would your dad be interested?...

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Paris with Dad

Might I suggest the Muses des Arts & Metiers (Museum of Arts and Crafts) http://www.arts-et-metiers.net/ for your Dad if he is interested in engineering stuff. I found it really fascinating, and there is less walking involved by far than the Louvre.

The place is just stuffed with things mechanical and scientific, including the Foucault Pendulum, and a replica of Lavoisier's Laboratory. He will find out that the French were the first to invent EVERYTHING! :-)

My wife had to drag me out of the place, even after she spent a couple of hours reading her novel in the very nice library, while I wandered from wonder to wonder..

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
52 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Paris with Dad

Thank you both for your considerate feedback. I feel more confident about making it a meaningful day in Paris.

I'm struggling with finding a reasonably priced hotel.

Given the open-ended nature of our plans, I'm not sure what arrondissement(s) to focus on.

Not yet sure how we'll get among the destinations, but perhaps there is some sort of Hop On/Hop Off bus that will simplify things. I doubt we'll be doing much of the metro (given my Dad's pace).

There is availability in:

- Regent's Garden Hotel

- Hotel Le A

- Crystal Hotel

- Clarion Collection Hotel Opera Pavillon Paris

- Terrass Hotel

- Garden Elysee

There is a swing of over $120/night among this list, but if there is an appreciable benefit...I'm willing to do it.

Anything rise to the top when seeing list for?

I'm looking for some reason to choose one over the other...but in my ignorance, can't decide :-/

Thanks!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in Paris with Dad

For one day, I think this HOHO bus would work the best: http://www.carsrouges.com/

I think the location of the Garden Elysee is more convinient for the Eiffel Tower and the HOHO bus.

Terrass Hotel is on a hill in Montmartre, fyi.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in Paris with Dad

If he is interested in military history, I second the Musee de l'Armee at les Invalides. It has sections on the world wars, the French resistance in WWII, and a medieval section (maybe some others, that's just what I recall off the top of my head). The major signage is translated into English, but it helps to be able to read French. My daughter and I spent most of a day there. It is also near the Musee Rodin, where the garden is only 1Euro and a nice place to relax among famous artwork.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day in Paris with Dad

Ditto, catch the Hop on / Hop Off bus around Paris if you only have one day & your Dad has bad knees.

viator.com/Paris-tours/…

9. Re: One Day in Paris with Dad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2011, 07:48