We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is apartment rental?

Arcadia, California
8 posts
Save Topic
What is apartment rental?

Sorry for the dumb question..

We are going to stay in Paris for 8 nights in November. Most of the travel books suggest to book a apartment for long stay.

We browse thru the web for apartment rental, my question is: Are we going to live with the apartment owner and/or other tourists?

Thanks,

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is apartment rental?

Just like you can rent an apartment by the month or year to live in, as a tourist you can rent a self-catering apartment by the week, night or month. You do not share the place with the owner or other tourists, you have the place to yourself. I hope this aswers your question.

Edited: 01 October 2010, 18:40
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is apartment rental?

No, you will NOT live with the owner. It's a short term rental. You live/stay there as if it's your own. If you are in Paris for 8 days, apt rental makes so much sense. I cannot imagine eating out every single meal in Paris. Do yourself a favor, do a search in this form and you will learn more about apt rental.

Edited: 01 October 2010, 21:07
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,954 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is apartment rental?

Just FWIW I wouldn't consider 8 days a long visit to Paris. There is so muc to see and do that if you try to get a lot in, you try to do too much in each day and don't have enough time to 1) just explore unplanned things/areas, and 2) relax in gardens or cafes.

And if this is a first visit, IMO you're better off in a hotel. Staying in a hotel eliminates "real" food shopping, cooking, making the bed...all those exciting vacation activities. And a hotel will have a concierge who can make suggestions and reservations, answer Q's about metro stops, etc.

But YMMV

Pjk

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is apartment rental?

Only the larger hotels have Concierges. At the smaller ones, you rely on the front desk staff.

If "we" is parents and two young children, staying in an apartment has huge advantages.

For one thing, you'll have more space, and seating other than beds, along with a proper table and chairs. Whether or not you do any "cooking", you can save a fortune, especially with children, just on beverages, snacks, breakfasts, by stocking up on those items from a nearby grocery or convenience store. And, there are usually all sorts of traiteurs nearby for take-away foods to be enjoyed in your apartment with no preparation.

Most apartments also have washers and/or drying, which means you can pack far less to haul around.

Highly recommend starting with www.vacationinparis.com With one inquiry, you can receive a listing of all properties available for your dates. The booking process, terms and conditions, payment methods, are all exceptionally reasonable - and in English. They are very responsive. And, for most apartments, the keys are mailed to you ahead of time so you can get right in as soon as you arrive.

There are wonderful restaurants all over, you don't have to have reservations, and you can easily figure out the Metro on your own. (Though, with kids, I'd recommend using the buses.)

5. Re: What is apartment rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 November 2015, 15:03
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,832 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is apartment rental?

There's always -- *always* -- a way to get in touch with the owner or property manager of a vacation rental.

There's also always a booklet somewhere in the apartment containing emergency numbers and information.

Walking into a pharmacy (they're open if they have a green flashing neon cross) and asking would be a far more effective way to find help for myself or others, rather than relying on a desk clerk.

And this: 01 47 07 77 77

That's the number for SOS Medicins -- puts you in touch with an English-speaking doctor, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Works whether you're in a hotel, an apartment, or a cardboard box.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is apartment rental?

<<01 47 07 77 77 That's the number for SOS Medicins>>

They do more that put you in touch...I had occasion to phone last week and a doctor was at our door in about 5 minutes.

This is an amazing service and one that should be in everyone's notes.

8. Re: What is apartment rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 November 2015, 15:03
ireland
Level Contributor
976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is apartment rental?

I love apartments, it's so nice to have your own living room to just relax on the sofa after a long day sightseeing, even shopping for dinner is great when your going to the local market in a different country. Maybe I'm weird, but I just enjoy it.

ireland
Level Contributor
976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is apartment rental?

Sorry, forgot to say thank you djkbooks for that number, hope we dont need it, but it's good to know.