We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Greeters

Des Moines, Iowa
6 posts
Save Topic
Paris Greeters

Has anyone had any experience with Paris Greeters? We are meeting with someone on Tuesday.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Greeters

We have usd them twice and really enjoyed it. They are all knowledgeable volunteers and really help you be a "Parisian for a day" and only take online donations.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Greeters

Very nice - sounds great!

ohio
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Greeters

We had a great experience last year. Bernard, our greeter, was really wonderful and we saw parts of Paris that we otherwise wouldn't have.

You can read all the details in my trip report. Enjoy!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k31303…

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Greeters

Unfortunately, we had a very disappointing experience this past Wednesday with our Paris Greeter. Zero detail, historic significance, interesting tid bits. Basically "there's Hotel Sully" and that was that. Essentially a waste of 2 hours.

malaysia
Level Contributor
12 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Greeters

Hey Joleen1957! We are meeting with our greeter late March. Can you advise how much a 'donation' is deemed appropriate? We really do not want to be insensitive or insult anyone over there! When I unsucessfully tried to donate via Paypal, I thought I saw a range of 10-25 Euros. Would I be correct? Thanks!

malaysia
Level Contributor
12 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Greeters

Hey Joleen1957! We are meeting with our greeter late March. Can you advise how much a 'donation' is deemed appropriate? We really do not want to be insensitive or insult anyone over there! When I unsucessfully tried to donate via Paypal, I thought I saw a range of 10-25 Euros. Would I be correct? Thanks!

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Greeters

Instead of going through trouble of sending funds via Paypal for an organization that says they consist of volunteers yet want a donation, perhaps try Paris Walks. I've never taken their Paris tours (just one in London for the Beatles) but others have and reported them to be quite good. The walks are for a fee, but they are less than Paris Greeters donation amounts. And you don't need to prepay.

http://www.paris-walks.com/

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,832 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Greeters

I'm with you, paris_1204 -- they recently established a Greeter program in my department, and it was made absolutely clear at the get-go that Greeters are to receive no monetary compensation whatsoever -- either from the Department, the Region, nor from the 'guests'.

In order to be a greeter here, you are supposed to drive people around in your own vehicle and take them to attractions. Sorry, I'm willing to give my time, but at the equivalent of US$7.50 a gallon for diesel, and the local attractions being anything but free, I'm not going to sign up to entertain complete strangers on my nickel.

(I wouldn't expect a profit, by the way...I understand the volunteer nature of the program...but even a partial compensation for gas, coffee, etc., is fair.)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Greeters

The Paris Walk are not exactly the same thing : from what I understand, Paris greeters are French, and supposed to make you discover Paris from their local point of view.

Whereas all Paris walk guides are British or American.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,828 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris Greeters

"In order to be a greeter here, you are supposed to drive people around in your own vehicle and take them to attractions."

That is not the case in Paris, just to be clear. A greeter meets you near a metro station and you go for a walk to discover Paris with a Parisian, and basically you spend time chatting with him/her, plus perhaps a few other people (groups are a maximum of 6 people).

This concept is very different from an organized group walking tour with a professional guide, greeters are volunteers, so of course there's no guarantee the person you get is knowledgeable. But, I did read positive accounts several times and it does seem much more personal.