We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other cities where you would spend a month?

Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Other cities where you would spend a month?

I've just returned from a month in Paris (solo), never running out of things that interested me. I'm more of a food, wine, culture and architectire person than a museum goer; Paris never left me wanting as I walked to and thru all 20 arrondissements.

Any of you fellow wanderers have thoughts on other cities that you'd be able to comfortably spend a month in? I prefer non-english speaking venues as there's more culture shock in these environs.

I've been to so many places that while great for a few days, simply lack the depth and culture to hold my interest after seeing the obvious sites. Ideas appreciated -- I do my travel in the flanker months (May and September in the Northern Hemisphere) so weather is typically not an issue.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
494 reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,172 reviews
from US$108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.70*
liverpool ny
Level Contributor
237 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Other cities where you would spend a month?

Well, I've been to Barcelona, Madrid, Basel, Berne, London and various cities in France, and no matter where I went, I always wished i'd been in Paris instead.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other cities where you would spend a month?

How about Istanbul? Amazing food, tons of culture, great architecture, you will definitely experience some culture shock and there's plenty of interesting side trips that you could do if you desire. Tons to see within the city as well. And people are so friendly and hospitable.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Other cities where you would spend a month?

Rome, not just because its Rome( which could be enough) but because of the many daytrips one could do from there( with an overnight or two thrown in)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
2,218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Other cities where you would spend a month?

I've spent a lot of time in Istanbul. That's a really good suggestion. Barcelona or Prague might work for you in Europe. In Asia, Tokyo, Shanghai and Bangkok have much to offer. From Bangkok, you could also take a short flight or go overland to Siem Reap in Cambodia to visit Angkor (magnificent!) for a few days. But Istanbul would be my top choice (after Paris, of course!).

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Other cities where you would spend a month?

Istanbul isn't my top choice, simply because I'm female and there are many very conservative folks there who prefer that women not be out and about alone, particularly after dark. They think it improper (bold and unfeminine) and I don't travel to offend the locals. If my husband were available to travel with me, I'd thoroughly enjoy returning there since I've only scratched the surface of Turkey.

Spain could occupy me for many months. It's got a complicated history so there is a great deal so see and study. I've spent considerable time in Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Granada, Toledo, Jerez, and Arcos de la Frontera, and could stand much more time in each, as well as the rest of Andalusia, the other Pueblos Blancos, and the beach communities, north and south.

I travel to Greece almost annually, and I've still not exhausted everything that Athens has to offer. I think one could spend a month on Athens' museums alone, without considering the islands at all.

I could spend considerable additional time in London, Edinburgh, and their day (or two) trips, and the Hebrides, both Inner and Outer, in addition to Ireland, and Wales.

Since I travel alone, I have to be selective about Asia, but Tokyo and the rest of Japan along with Hong Kong and Shanghai could keep me occupied long beyond my budget.

Right now might not be the best time for a woman alone to travel in much of South America, but when things settle down, any of the major cities and their various day trips would definitely be on the list.

Edited: 15 October 2010, 02:38
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Other cities where you would spend a month?

You might consider Vienna. It has as much if not more culture (at least music), the architecture is stunning, and the food and wine tremendous. There are also lots of one day side trips along these lines.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
328 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Other cities where you would spend a month?

Buenos Aires is great, but I'd be inclined to go in March or November rather than May/September (I went in September and it was cooler than I would have liked).

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Other cities where you would spend a month?

We are home exchangers and have had the opportunity to spend a month in several cities. Amsterdam has many wonderful museums. We purchased the Museumkaart which is good for a year and is good for over 400 museums in the Netherlands. We did several day trips and totally enjoyed our stay. Amsterdam is small however and English is spoken by almost everyone. The atomosphere and wonderful attitude of the Dutch has convinced us to spend at least a year there after the husband retires in a few years. We also plan to spend a year in Paris. Madrid, of course is huge and has great museums also. Spent a month there in 2009. Great restaurants, good public transportation, but HOT HOT in July. It offers wonderful day trips too. We went to Avila, Toledo and spend several days in Barcelona.

S

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Other cities where you would spend a month?

I have been to all the places mentioned here except Istanbul (and I Iove that suggestion!) and I would choose Barcelona. I spent a week there and could have spent several more to see all it has to offer. Plus, Spain is small enough that overnight/weekend trips are so do-able. You can practice your Spanish and learn some Catalan.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Other cities where you would spend a month?

ROME.

I could live in Rome and never run out of things to do.

You might also consider London (although they speak English) and Kyoto, Japan, with a side trip to Koyasan.