We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris, January, Coat. Help!

Brookline,MA
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paris, January, Coat. Help!

Would I be crazy to buy this coat?

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/outerwear/puffer/PRDOVR~34678/34678.jsp I know it's puffy.

The alternative are

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/outerwear/wool/PRDOVR~18263/18263.jsp

and

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/outerwear/wool/PRDOVR~79203/79203.jsp

both have Thinsulate.

Thanks for any help!!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,176 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris, January, Coat. Help!

I didn't look at your catalog links, but we just returned from France, and all of the young parisiennes were wearing skinny jeans and car coats, and scarfs, if necessary, tied around the neck in a kind of loop thing. Hair is either shouldler length or pony tail.

And it is true, French women are not fat, they just get a little chunky after fifty. (I did a lot of people watching :~)

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris, January, Coat. Help!

Are any of them rainproof? That would be so helpful...

What are you trying to achieve? :)))) Are you trying to blend in, pick the right "temperature" or overall comfort?

If you plan to do alot of walking around, I'd pick a thinner coat (major plus if it's weather resistant). Pack both thin shirts and sweaters to wear underneath for layering and/or weather swings, as well as scarves. It will be VERY warm in stores/restaurants, and who knows outside :) - but layering will keep you warm in a thinner coat, and I alwasy prefer being cool to being hot.

Brookline,MA
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris, January, Coat. Help!

I guess I am trying to find a balance between comfort and fitting in.

I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb but I do want to stay warm. I am easily cold :)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
154 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris, January, Coat. Help!

My daughter's in Paris for the year and just had me ship her the North Face version of your J Crew Puffy Coat. Black, like the one you show. She believes she'll need it for the temperatures. Daughter says she's already spotted the style on well dressed Parisiennes; so if you're worried that you'll look pffffffew in puff, don't be.

I do like the lines and length of coat #2. I think you'd be comfortably warm (and looking good) with a sweater underneath and a big ole chunky scarf around your neck and torso. And, don't forget the trim kid leather gloves to finish it off.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris, January, Coat. Help!

I don't think you will stick out like a sore thumb in any coat in a neutral color (black, beige,brown)...

The poofy one - personally, I'm not sure. I have vivid memories of groups of Italian tourists all wearing poofy down parkas to their feet, so I'm probably biased.

I like the two wool coats, and I think they would be enough to keep you warm. They are a bit more "classic taylored" look than European fashion, I believe - but you wouldn't stick out at all. You could "liven" them up with a pashmina scarf - and an umbrella!

PS: Yes, #2 is my favorite as well!

Edited: 25 October 2010, 03:45
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
154 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris, January, Coat. Help!

Can we put in our two cents about your shoes next ? :-)

Brookline,MA
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris, January, Coat. Help!

LOL. Ohh if only you would! I've tried 5 pairs of boots so far. Thank God for free returns.

so far I've tried:

3 La Canadiennes, 1 Merrill and 1 Naot and none really did it for me. I have smaller calves FYI.

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,753 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris, January, Coat. Help!

when I spent a couple of weeks in Paris this time of year I took the garment we call the 'giant puffy coat' -- a big fat down coat -- I was blissfully warm outside on very cold snowy days -- and we spent a lot of time outside -- did I 'fit in' -- well not so much and it was a pain inside -- I just checked it at museums etc BUT I was blissfully warm and that was what mattered to me in the cold

there are a number of reasonably sleek down coats on LL Bean and Lands End etc -- but if you are easily cold - a down coat is not a bad choice for this time of year --

Brookline,MA
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris, January, Coat. Help!

soooo...I just order this in black-it seemed like a good idea at the time...

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/outerwear/wool/PRDOVR~31410/31410.jsp

J crew is 20% off on all outerwear until 11:59 est.

I can always return it!

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris, January, Coat. Help!

Hi, comfort, warmth, being either water resistant or waterproof, and practicality are more important than fitting in. Same goes for footwear. Paris has no dress code.