We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ah Paris - BAD rental agency

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,807 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Ah Paris - BAD rental agency

My brother rented a place with this agebcy last month. After three days the apartment was "robbed". By this I mean a stanger came inwith a key, made a horrible mess, stole the soare key and left. When my brother called the manager he was told NOT to go to the police! He went, anyway.

The agency would not come to see the damage until the next day, but by then my brother had already left (would you sleep or leave your belongings in flat that had just been entered by someone without a key?) and the mess made by the intruders was therefore gone, too.

The agency THEN kept my brother's 500€ security deposit for the stolen key. When I called the owner to complain, he was surprised the manager had not talen my brother to the police station because this has already happened SEVERAL times!!!

I don't know who the dishonest party is: the owner, a manager or a cleaning crew, but it is NOT normal. Fortunately, because of the police report, the credit card company has refused to honor the charge for the security deposit.

Regardless, my brother was very lucky to be surrounded by French family who could help him through all of this, as well as lodge his family to avoid the additional expense of an honest hotel. Ah Paris is HORRID.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ah Paris - BAD rental agency

What a horrible thing to happen!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,775 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ah Paris - BAD rental agency

have him put a review on www.slowtrav.com -- which is a review site that is easy to use and gets a lot of use

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ah Paris - BAD rental agency

Dreadful Phread, absolutely dreadful. Thanks for posting so we can beware.

Take care.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ah Paris - BAD rental agency

What a horrible experience! So sorry your brother had to go through this but at the same time he is so fortunate that he had you to provide support and assistance when it was so badly needed.

Thank you for the report.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ah Paris - BAD rental agency

"The agency THEN kept my brother's 500€ security deposit for the stolen key."

And he probably paid the rent in advance, can he be reimbursed for that ?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,807 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ah Paris - BAD rental agency

He paid the rent in cash, upon arrival, so they won't be reimbusing him anything.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ah Paris - BAD rental agency

This is Ah Paris replying with our side of the story.

The client called to tell us that someone with a key had entered the apartment but had stolen nothing. It was obvious the thief had a key because he locked the apartment behind him when he left. They asked us to send the police to the apartment. We did not tell the client not to go to the police. We told them that if there was no forced entry and if nothing was stolen, the police would not come to the apartment. As they discovered, the police, in fact did not go to the apartment.

The apartment manager was with a client on the other side of the city, so we told the client that he would not be able to get there for 2 hours. The client did not want to wait. When the apartment manager showed up, the client had already left.

The next day, the client informed us that the thief had actually stolen something... "the second key that we'd left on the table". Now, the owner was furious. Why would a thief who already had a set of keys, enter the apartment only to steal another key? To the owner, the obvious reason was because the client had left the second key in the door or had dropped it in the stairwell. Someone in the building found the key, entered the apartment looking for money, didn't find any and left with the key in the hopes of trying it again another day. The owner naturally insisted we change the lock.

The person writing the article did not speak to the owner, but spoke to me. I told her that a few years earlier, another apartment had been broken into, but there had been a forced entry. (Paris, like any other large city is not immune to crime). However, the insurance company paid for the damage and a new lock because there had been a forced entry. In this case, the insurance company refused to pay, because it was obvious to them that the renters had been negligent by leaving the key either in the door or near the door to the apartment.

It cost 800 euros to change the lock to the apartment. we used the client's security deposit to pay 500 euros and Ah Paris paid 300 euros (By the way, the credit card company did pay the 500 euros).

There was no dishonesty anywhere, just an unfortunate set of circumstances.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ah Paris - BAD rental agency

Yes I agree, it was fortunate that your brother had family around to help. However this must have been a very distressing experience and really should have been given priority by the Agency and manager , no matter what the unfortunate circumstances were.

Hope he has a better experience next time.

Denise

Love from England

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ah Paris - BAD rental agency

<<It cost 800 euros to change the lock to the apartment.>>

Wow, someone was indeed robbed.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ah Paris - BAD rental agency

Yes, must be some lock heh. Cost between $70 and $95 for a normal type of keyed lock in these parts of France (Provence).